ASIAIR and opensource software licences

• Thank you received: 0

It appears they've "borrowed" the FITS conversion code from Siril. They may be doing something else on top of that for star removal.

However, since Siril is GPLed, that means that ZWO component and anything it links to needs to be GPLed (and the source code for all released versions provided).
1 year 1 month ago #92019

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5

agreed
1 year 1 month ago #92023

• Thank you received: 54

Certainly much too early, but :
Any news on this ?
(tic ... toc ... tic ... toc ...)
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by gehelem.
1 year 1 month ago #92249

• Thank you received: 30
I learned some new things while I was at NEAF that need some research, that I'll likely get into tonight. I don't have any updates as to actions taken by other lib owners, yet. I'll share any details as soon as I get any. Overall, I'm working up a rebuttal of sorts to ZWO's press release, with supporting data.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gehelem
1 year 1 month ago #92253

INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: array_keys(): Argument #1 ($array) must be of type array, null given. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Bill, I'm curious if there has been any update? In a previous post you mentioned one lib author filled a notice about the license violation.
11 months 3 weeks ago #93354

Has there been any updates about ZWO and open source software?
11 months 1 week ago #93594

Nothing new to report, in the way of impactful changes. They published a source tree for their astrometry.net fork after being notified of violation, so technically they've met the requirement there. I've been in contact with a few other lib owners, with no motion to report. I've also been having a conversation with Apple's legal team about the use of GPL code in the app, without meeting the distribution terms of the GPL, but that's slow going. I won't have anything new to report until the next version drop from ZWO, or one of the lib owners responds. When I know, I'll pass it on.
11 months 1 week ago #93596

I have a theory as to why, but I'm curious why you haven't held ZWO to account for infringing indilib they way they have. There's clearly enough evidence to support the notion that they're infringing, and only doing the absolute bare minimum, if that, in terms of gpl/lgpl compliance, and only when forced to.
Last edit: 11 months 1 week ago by Bill Nash.
11 months 1 week ago #93598

IMO, if the lib owners aren't going to defend the GPL licenses against ZWO, then it will encourage other Chinese astro companies to start stealing from open source libraries.
11 months 1 week ago #93600

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: array_keys(): Argument #1 ($array) must be of type array, null given. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• Thank you received: 25
Using an esp8266 or esp32 to control the motors would be entirety reasonable. Skywatcher does that in their Az-GTi/Az-GTe and probably the SA-GTi too.

Dwarf Lab uses a rockchip in their Dwarf2 smart telescope, and leans heavily on the NPU for object tracking. It's also Linux based but doesn't use indi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Nash
9 months 1 week ago #95044

Time to create page: 0.822 seconds