INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Joystick instegration and usability

• Thank you received: 1
Hi every one. I'm a programmer and i would like to improve the joystick indi integration.

I'have a joystick and a DeepSkyDad AF3 focuer. I would like to add more shortcuts to the driver to change focuser speed.

I was looking at the github.com/DeepSkyDad/indi but I think I'm a little confused because I don't found the Indi control panel.

Could someone give me some guidance.

If I get success I would like to keep working in the joystick improvement, because in the field and when is cold I think is a great inferface.

Thanks.
Last edit: 5 months 2 days ago by Jose Maria.
5 months 2 days ago #97344

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 5
Hi Jose,
I think this is an excellent idea. I have the same focuser and would also like to be better able to control it via the joystick when I do visual observation with my scope.
I am not really familiar with coding, but my understanding is that you have to work your way through the indi structure, i.e. many functions are defined in the parent classes i.e. you have to look e.g. into the "indifocuser.h" file. I also have not yet understood, where the joystick support within the focuser driver is being defined. The general joystick functions themselves are defined in the "joystick.h" and "joystick.cpp" files, which you find under indi/drivers/auxilliary. Hope that helps a bit.
I feel it would be great, if you could use the thumbstick to adjust focus. That way you could use the analog values to make the focuser go slow or fast depending of how much you press.
Here is a link to a project to build a stand-alone controller to achieve just that:
www.cloudynights.com/topic/806066-homebr...-for-aux-port/page-4
1 month 2 weeks ago #99578

• Thank you received: 28
"I'm a little confused because I don't found the Indi control panel."

INDI doesn't have a GUI in itself. The client draws it based on the drivers declared properties.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99583

Ed,
many thanks for your reply. I was going through the celestron.h and celestron.cpp files but could not find any declarations regarding joystick use. The only reference I found was in the indifocuser.h and indifocuser.cpp files, where probably the "ISSnoopDevice" function has something to do with the joystick integration ? Can you pls. advise where to look for the declared properties ? As said, I would very much like to add thumbstick support to the focuser in order to use variable focusing speeds, which would be very helpful when using the scope for visual observation. Which file(s) would I have to modify in order to achieve the desired result ?
Many thanks !
1 month 2 weeks ago #99588

In the reply from above I am referring to the Celestron SCT focuser, which I use also. I guess it should be the same approach in principle as for the DSD AF3. The Celestron focuser is even more important to me, as I have to use this to get into "broad" focus. At times, I only use this focuser, without attaching a Crayford with AF3.
1 month 2 weeks ago #99589

• Thank you received: 28
Sorry, I don't know enough to directly advise you on this. I also don't have relevant equipment for motivation or testing.

I've found it easiest to find an INDI driver of similar functionality and read through the source to try to understand how it's been done before. You can also refer to the INDI developer manual
1 month 2 weeks ago #99610

Time to create page: 0.958 seconds