INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI driver shortfalls

• Thank you received: 6
A proud new owner of ASI294MC Pro here. I used Nikon D7500 for astroimaging before, now learning all the new features of the specialized camera.
Discovered a couple of issues with INDI ASI driver.

First, certain color cameras support the MonoBin mode. When bin=1, it makes no difference. When bin=2 and MonoBin=0, adjacent <em>same colored</em> pixels are collapsed into one. When bin=2 and MonoBin=1, four adjacent pixels are collapsed into a single <em>gray</em> pixel. Higher binning levels work in a similar manner. Of course, all that is done in ASI driver, no hardware advantages as with old CCDs. But I find it useful to bin 2x for focusing and 4x for alignment, for speed and lower noise. And here MonoBin fits nicely. Except currently the indi-asi driver ignores MonoBin flag and treats binned data as bayered. Does Ekos debayer the alignment and focusing images? If not then I'm actually fine. Anyway, it would be nice to fix.

Second, capturing video subframes seems <em>mostly</em> broken. I could make it working by setting offset and size all divisible by 8 and repeating the settings in both video and image INDI control panel tabs. In RAW16 mode FPS floats at 15, which is fine for full frame. ZWO claims, it should go up to 21 at 4096×2160 and 40 at 1920×1080. Do they mean subframes or some sort of in-camera downscale? If latter, does indi-asi support that?

I could try to fix at least some of these issues. But I see a good number of commented out snippets of code in relevant areas, that worries me :) I only have one ASI camera and very little sense of what corner cases and use scenarios are out there.
3 years 8 months ago #58843

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.307 seconds