INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos crashes after setting camera nickname

• Thank you received: 11
As I was playing around trying to get my ASI2600MM camera to enable cooling after the 3.7.0 upgrade, I happened to notice a setting for "Nickname" in the camera tab of the INDI Control Panel. I wondered how that works so I set the nickname to "Main Camera". There was a message popup saying I needed to reset the camera driver for this to take effect. I did so And I *think* the whole app crashed then. It is possible that it didn't start crashing until I disconnected and reconnected the profile.

Anyway, I can no longer connect to my equipment. The app crashes every time it tries to connect to the camera.

This seems like a bug that needs to be addressed. However, in the short term I need to undo this change. I'm on macOS so I need to know where the file is that holds this change so I can undo it. I looked in ~/Library/Application Support/kstars but didn't see anything there (unless it is a binary file). Can someone tell me what file I can edit to get my system working again?

I did collect a log file of the crash if that helps.

File Attachment:

File Name: Nickname_C...4-06.txt
File Size:47 KB

Bill
3 weeks 4 days ago #100144
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 566
On Linux, INDI settings are stored in ~/.indi/*
There are xml files in there for the different drivers, so you could try to text-edit out the settings change to the zwo driver you changed.
Hy
3 weeks 4 days ago #100147

Hy,

It looks like some are config files are stored there on macOS as well. But the only two modified today were related to simulators

(base) bill@Bills-iMac .indi % ls -l
total 224
-rw-r--r--@ 1 bill staff 7693 Apr 6 15:12 CCD Simulator_config.xml
-rw-r--r--@ 1 bill staff 7462 Nov 25 2022 CCD Simulator_config.xml.default
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 7589 Mar 7 2022 Canon DSLR EOS 700D_config.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 6799 Feb 1 2022 Canon DSLR EOS 700D_config.xml.default
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 1285 May 27 2015 Celestron GPS_config.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 1285 May 27 2015 Celestron GPS_config.xml.default
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 5198 Nov 29 2022 LX200 Basic_config.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 4730 Nov 29 2022 LX200 Basic_config.xml.default
-rw-r--r--@ 1 bill staff 5753 Nov 30 2022 Losmandy Gemini_config.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 4775 Feb 1 2022 Losmandy Gemini_config.xml.default
-rw-r--r--@ 1 bill staff 570 Dec 12 2022 ParkData.xml
-rw-r--r--@ 1 bill staff 1403 Nov 30 2022 ScopeConfig.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 6798 Nov 29 2022 Standard LX200_config.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 5319 Nov 29 2022 Standard LX200_config.xml.default
-rw-r--r--@ 1 bill staff 7244 Apr 6 15:12 Telescope Simulator_config.xml
-rw-r--r-- 1 bill staff 6585 Jan 27 2022 Telescope Simulator_config.xml.default
(base) bill@Bills-iMac .indi %

If I grep the files for "Main Camera" or just "Camera", nothing is found. There must be somewhere else this data is stored.

I even did a

"find ~ -name "*ASI2600MM*" -print"

in my home directory on Mac. It found a few files but none of them were right.

I also looked on the RPi itself in case it was stored there. No luck with looking in ~/.indi. There were some files there but nothing containing "Main Camera".

Bill
3 weeks 4 days ago #100148

FWIW, I searched on my computer--I have two ZWO ASI 1600s and they both have nicknames.
I don't know the details of the various ZWO drivers (though I did add the nicknames functionality),
but here's a screenshot of some searching in ~/.indi

BTW, I've had no crashing, etc. Perhaps there's some issue with say setting up a profile or optical train using one name then changing/setting the nickname? Perhaps re-init your optical trains, and/or create a. new profile?

Hy

3 weeks 4 days ago #100149
Attachments:

Also, I imagine you should be looking on the machine that runs indiserver--that is, the machine that is physically connected to your cameras.
Hy
3 weeks 4 days ago #100150

Looking on the remote machine was a good hint. In the .indi directory there was a "ZWONickname.xml" file that contained the nickname. I deleted the file.

I still had problems connecting to the camera from macOS. Sometimes it would crash and sometimes the camera would not be loaded.

I finally tried running it all on the RPi using VNC. The first couple of times I tried it I got a "ZWO camera driver has crashed" message. I eventually got that to go away. Not sure what finally did it but might have created a new profile. I could not capture images via VNC and most things seem to work (still cannot set temperature).

I went back to running KStars/Ekos on macOS. Initially it still didn't work there. I created a new profile again and this time it worked. However there was a strangness where my Primary and Secondary optical trains were reversed. Weird.

Anyway, I now seem to have recovered from the damage when seeing a nickname. I'm not going to do the again. There is some bug still there.

Thanks for the help Hy.
3 weeks 4 days ago #100180

Time to create page: 1.167 seconds