INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

No preview/no solving able when in tracking mode

• Thank you received: 19
Hi there!

I´m a totally new to KStars/Ekso/Indi/Linux. I am searching for a solution to controll my whole setup from inside.
Thats a Skywatcher EQ6-R, Canon EOS5DMarkiii with astromod, Lacerta MGen autoguider.
My status is that i setup an old notebook (HP Pavillon) with Lubuntu and installed KStars there.
My Setup is connected DIRECT over USB to this Laptop, that stands direct under the EQ´s Tripod.
I controll this Laptop atm over Teamviewer what works very good so far.
I am able to controll the EQ6 without problems, and also the cam.
Where ithe problems begin at the moment is plate solving and parking.
When in Park position, i am able to push the solving button and also the preview button in the ccd modul.
When i am tracking, i can not do that, because the buttons are greyed out.
Does anyone know what the problem is?
Another question is, if i should use the "SYNSCAN" Driver for the EQ& or if it is better to use the EQMod driver.
Both is working for me, but for EQMod i have to setup the handcontroller to "PC DIRECT MODE"
I am downloading ALL the Astrometry.net data packages to get offline Platesolving to run.
Another problem was that the EQ goes "THE WRONG WAY" when i want to park it. It wants to take a total turn and hits the tripod then. Maybe someone has got some ideas.
I have to admit, that i am also totally new to linux so if someone provides me with actions for linux, please tell me what i have to do/type EXACTLY, because i do not really know what i am doing there :)
cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 3 months ago #22681

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 819
Hi Niki,

If your buttons are greyed out, that means the scope is in the process of slewing or at least that is what it is telling KStars. So your mount is not reporting that it is "idle" or tracking which is when those buttons become enabled.

From what you are describing, it sounds like probably this issue and the others are related to the connection method. I was trying KStars and INDI with a club HDX 110 mount and found some strange issues connecting using the Synscan driver and some different strange issues in the EQMod driver using Pc-direct mode. Specifically, in the PC-direct mode, sometimes the connection would drop out and the mount would slew itself to what I suppose was a park position. Specifically in the Synscan driver mode, it did not drop the connection, but the time or location (not sure which) was off by several hours. Also in the Synscan driver, you have FAR fewer capabilities and cannot build a good pointing model like you can with the EQMod driver.

All of these issues went away when I started using the EQMod driver with a direct connection cable. It makes all the difference in the world. This was true both for KStars/INDI computer connection and ASCOM for Windows as well. It was much more reliable. There are several places you can get one. Here is where I got mine: www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_eq.htm

You might try that.

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: the.cakemaker
6 years 3 months ago #22688

• Thank you received: 420
I concur. I had exactly the same experience with a SkyWatcher AZEQ-6 and using an EQ Direct cable solved all issues for me. The AZEQ-6 was not mine (and way too heavy for me to carry into the garden every time) so now I have a SkyWatcher HEQ-5 Pro which works like a charm with the EQ Direct cable.

Clear skies, Wouter
The following user(s) said Thank You: the.cakemaker
6 years 3 months ago #22692

Thanks guys. I decided to use the EQMod driver via PC Direct Mode today.
I have now solved the problem with the solving. Solving works, offline and online now.
I think i will buy one of this cables you told me to get that prob out of my way.
Since solving now worked i tried to do a Polar Alignment via the Polar Alignment button in Ekos.
This works for me to the point where the third picture is solved, after turning the EQ6 30° to the left and right.
After that the whole programm just crashes and dissappears without an alert, what the problem is...
Maybe you guys know what the prob could be.
So far i am happy that i solved the "solving problem" today.
Thanks
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
6 years 3 months ago #22693

• Thank you received: 301
Try to enable logs in the kstars interface settings. Reproduce and share the results, we'll probably be able to help from there.
About synscan vs direct, there are some differing advices here and on cloudy nights, depending on which method is stable for whom. On my side I favor the direct connection through a FTDI usb-to-serial chip, just because that's one less step between the controller and the equipment, and because I did the connection block myself (can't get more confident). Now, it doesn't always prevent disconnections, that also depend on how the cable is connected. On my HEQ5, this is a RJ45, and frankly RJ45 are not the best for moving parts.

-Eric
6 years 3 months ago #22769

I will enable logs and try to reproduce the fault.
Niki

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
6 years 3 months ago #22776

Hey there!

Got my EQ Direct Cable today and now i am REALLY confused. When i put together all the cables, i have from the PC side:
USB to Micro USB into the small box that comes with the cable. on the other side outgoing there is a male RS232 where i have to connect the female RS232, that goes into the handbox, right? But Since this is a EQ direct cable, i do not use the handbox anymore, right? So now i have to connect the small RJ plug into the EQ. But the one from the handbox is to big for that, and on the small one, there is my MGen Autoguider plugged in? Does that mean, that when i use the EQDirect Cable, i CAN´T use my MGen anymore? That would not be my first choice...
I have a picture of the cables here.
6 years 3 months ago #22781
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 420
I have never used the cable you bought so I don’t know how to help you with that. This is the cable I bought and I used it both with a SkyWatcher AZEQ-6 (similar to a normal EQ-6) and a SkyWatcher HEQ-5 Pro:

www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_inf...er-H-EQ5-Mounts.html

The RJ45 plug goes straight into the mount without connecting the hand controller first and the ST4 port for autoguiding still is available. The description of the cable says it is suitable for Windows systems only but it works like a charm on Linux and OS X as well.

Sorry to not be of more help with the cable you bought.
6 years 3 months ago #22782

You were a lot of help :) Seems that i simply ordered the wrong cable.
i will change it.
Thanx
Niki
6 years 3 months ago #22783

• Thank you received: 819
Yeah, you do have to be careful, the different EQ mounts have different cable requirements. I checked several times whether I needed the EQ5 or EQ6 cable before I ordered and even then I was nervous that I might have ordered the wrong one until it came and I tried it.
6 years 3 months ago #22792

Time to create page: 0.242 seconds