INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Tracking not effective

• Thank you received: 0
Hi

Could be something I'm doing, but my NEQ6 hooked up to EKOS on an rPi just doesn't seem to be tracking as it should. Everything is working perfectly, however I always use guiding. Which seems to work quite hard, but it's effective. However when I turn guiding off to photograph for example the moon, even though it says that tracking is on, it moves across the frame over the space of a few minutes. The mount is polar aligned through SharpCap to within seconds. This happens even when I have done a plate solve or two earlier in the session.

Would appreciate any guidance, can't think of any other detail I can give.

Thanks

Paul
4 years 2 weeks ago #51888

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 117

Replied by Doug S on topic Tracking not effective

Just brainstorming with you... If your guiding is working hard, then I would think you would have to first really rule out your polar align. You could confirm either with Ekos or with PHD2. I assume you've set the tracking rate to lunar rate (as opposed to sidereal) right? Are you using an ST4 cable or direct guiding (via Pi/cam)? If you're using a long cable via powered hub (for example), I've heard there could be command speed / lag issues to deal with. I'd ditch an ST4 approach and go more direct from Pi/Cam if possible. Last thought is backlash. When you manually drive (hand controller or mount control), do you notice a lot of backlash? Guiding and backlash can be problematic. I know for instance that you can't enable backlash in the mount on a Celestron and have guiding work correctly (they conflict). I'd start by ruling out these possibilities, and then move to HW issues (motors/play in gears, etc.). If you continue to struggle, I would definitely recommend switching to PHD2 so you can analyze guiding better. You can always switch back after you find/fix the issue.
4 years 1 week ago #51898

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Paul Wilcox on topic Tracking not effective

Hi dmsunmmers

Thanks for the comprehensive checklist and guidance. I'll definitely work through your suggestions and let you know.

Appreciate the help

Paul
4 years 1 week ago #51928

Time to create page: 0.393 seconds