INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

GPS-NMEA error on update time

• Thank you received: 23
What about this error message??? How to solve it???

Last edit: 9 months 2 days ago by ALESSANDRO PENSATO.
9 months 2 days ago #94314
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 11
I updated line #210 of libs/indibase/indigps.cpp to pass errno to strerror instead of rc (which is always -1) and got the actual problem logged out:

An obvious solution would be to run indi_gpsd as root, but it would be great to find out how to allow a non-root user update system time.

I have a feeling this is quite a serious obstacle, because the get_local_sidereal_time function defined in libs/indicore/indicom.c and used by my mount driver (at least) uses the ln_get_julian_from_sys function from libnova, which directly depends on the system clock.

This could explain why I see the Temma driver setting wrong local sidereal time to the mount despite the fact Kstars/Ekos actually show correct time from GPSD.

Have you managed to solve or find a workaround for this?
7 months 4 weeks ago #95479
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 11
sudo setcap CAP_SYS_TIME+ep /usr/bin/indi_gpsd
helped. Now I see the system time updated correctly by the INDI GPSD module, and the error message has disappeared.

I suppose in your case you would need to do the same for the GPS-NMEA binary instead of indi_gpsd.

On a side note, I do not see the system time on my Raspberry Pi updated by a remote Kstars instance (on the laptop) even with "Kstars updates all devices" setting and similar capability added to the /usr/bin/indiserver binary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matteo
7 months 4 weeks ago #95481

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds