INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Can't load INDI on RPi4

• Thank you received: 1
I have a fresh install of Raspian bullseye on a RPi4. I cut and pasted the commands to install the raspberry pi version of INDI and get a whole slew of unmet dependencies. A partial list is below. Any idea what's wrong?

sudo apt install indi-full gsc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gsc:armhf : Depends: gsc-data:armhf (>= 1.3+deb10u1) but it is not installable
indi-apogee:armhf : Depends: libcfitsio7:armhf (>= 3.450~) but it is not installable
indi-asi:armhf : Depends: libcfitsio7:armhf (>= 3.450~) but it is not installable
indi-atik:armhf : Depends: libcfitsio7:armhf (>= 3.450~) but it is not installable
indi-bin:armhf : Depends: libcfitsio7:armhf (>= 3.450~) but it is not installable
Depends: libgsl23:armhf (>= 2.5) but it is not installable
indi-celestronaux:armhf : Depends: libgsl23:armhf (>= 2.5) but it is not installable
indi-dsi:armhf : Depends: libcfitsio7:armhf (>= 3.450~) but it is not installable
indi-eqmod:armhf : Depends: libgsl23:armhf (>= 2.5) but it is not installable
indi-ffmv:armhf : Depends: libcfitsio7:armhf (>= 3.450~) but it is not installable
Depends: libdc1394-22:armhf but it is not installable
7 months 4 weeks ago #95312

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by Juan Daniel on topic Can't load INDI on RPi4

Hi,

I think it is easier run the installation script of Astropi3. It installs all the required dependencies for INDI and Kstars, and also creates a WiFi hotspot to handle your RPi from your phone or tablet. You can download it from this repo: github.com/rlancaste/AstroPi3
For Raspbian, you only have to run the script: setupAstroRaspbianPi.sh

Best regards.
7 months 4 weeks ago #95315

• Thank you received: 50

Replied by Avocette on topic Can't load INDI on RPi4

Further UPDATE - (two days later) I am now able to get all my USB devices to be recognised in Raspberry Pi 64 bit OS bullseye using Nou’s script and then apt remove rpi.gpio-common I think this may be needed due to the changover to the Debian Kernel 6.1.21.

UPDATE: I just tried to use the AstroPi3 script on Raspberry Pi OS 64 bit bullseye. It seems that the repositories for KStars, Ekos and Indi are mis-addressed in the script (which is no longer named AstroRaspianPi.sh but AstroPi3.sh).
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Avocette. Reason: Reading around USB issues with FTDI USB to serial devices
7 months 4 weeks ago #95327

Replied by Allen on topic Can't load INDI on RPi4

Interesting. I looked at the script and it is a lot more complex than I would have thought necessary. I will have to take a closer look - I have only a vague idea of what the commands in the script are doing - and I don't want to break my current configuration.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95334

I just realized that by following the instructions exactly, I was trying to load the version for buster, which is 32 bit. e.g. sudo su -c "echo 'deb www.astroberry.io/repo/ buster main' > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/astroberry.list". My OS is 64 bit (bullseye). So it appears I just substitute bullseye for buster and that at least solves this problem. On to the next.... How do I mark this as solved?
7 months 3 weeks ago #95335

Sorry - but I don’t think this solves the issue in your title. Astroberry is an earlier package that only works on the 32 bit OS and provides KStars 3.6.0. All versions of KStars since then are 64 bit only. If you want to try out KStars 3.6.6 you may use gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-build on 64 bit bullseye, or AstroArch on 64 bit Arch github.com/devDucks/astroarch
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Avocette.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95343

Trying to do the build. Everything looked fine until it got to "Scanning Dependencies of Target KstarsLib". It got 32% of the way through, then froze at Building CXX object kstars/CMakefiles/KstarsLib.dir/indi/clientmanager.cpp.o. Can't even move the cursor - it looks like it is trying to execute cursor movement generated a half hour ago. Getting ready to just pull the plug. I have only 2 Gb of real memory and 1Gb swap and think I still have 16 GB storage space. Any idea what may be wrong? Do I need to add more swap space? (Can't even execute a free -h) Can I modify the script so it doesn't have to do everything before this point or should I just rerun the whole script with a bigger swap file?
Last edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Allen.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95397

OK - answered my own questions. Looking at the script I realized it wanted a lot more memory than I have so I boosted my swap file to be 3GB. Not sure I understand everything the script is doing, but I took a crack at eliminating commands that have already been executed and things appear to be running smoothly (if a little slowly) again. Looks like I could have just scraped by with 4GB total memory.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95398

In my case with an Ri4 4GB, Nou's software already recognizes that there is a RAM issue, and compensates for it at the expense of slower installation. But it still carries on until completed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Allen
7 months 3 weeks ago #95403

Replied by Juan Daniel on topic Can't load INDI on RPi4

Hi,

I don´t know if you are using the AstroPi3 script, but on each library that it compiles you will see something like this:

sudo -H -u $SUDO_USER make -j $(expr $(nproc) + 2)

The '-j $(expr $(nproc) + 2)' is the number of parallel jobs you want to use to compile. In this case it use number of processors + 2. If you don´t have enough RAM you can remove '--j $(expr $(nproc) + 2)' and use only one job. It will reduce the use of RAM but also will increase the time, because you will only use a process...

I was able to compile with a RPi3 1GB, but Kstars worked very slow and I had problem to handle big images. Now, I´m using a RPi4 8GB and it works pretty well. I don´t know how it will work with 2GB, I suppose a bit better than me.

Regards.
7 months 3 weeks ago #95405

Hi
user Nou recommendation, for low memory configure the build-soft-stable.sh , like this:

JOBS = 1

Regards
7 months 3 weeks ago #95417

Thanks! This is one of the things in the script I didn't understand (I've never tried building anything from source). As it turns out, increasing the swap file size got me past the problem command and my abbreviated script worked as it should and I now have a working copy of the current Kstars. So far I'm impressed - I had tried a version that was in the repository and the current version is much improved. Hopefully I will have a chance to try hooking some of my equipment to it later today.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Osvaldo Paez
7 months 3 weeks ago #95423

Time to create page: 0.918 seconds