INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos scheduler starts redundant INDI instance, goes south from there

• Thank you received: 3
When starting an evening of imaging with Ekos, I load a schedule of ~6 mosaic targets, and hit "Start scheduler." At this point, I'm asked if I want to kill the previous Ekos/Indi session which is already running. If I kill it or not, now my GUI usually just shows the Ekos "Setup" and "Scheduler" tabs, although it appears to be communicating with the other devices (mount, camera, guide camera, PHD2) in the background.

Other times, these devices will remain, but it is the Ekos Scheduler that goes blank, and after finishing the current step in the Ekos sequence queue, it will not proceed to the next one, as there is no next one any more.

I usually have things configured to run INDI locally, and to start/connect to all drivers upon launch. I use this time to get rough alignment with my target, perform a preliminary focus, and get guiding going. Then I start the Ekos scheduler, and the previously mentioned problem happens.

While this happened once or twice over the summer, this week it is happening EVERY SESSION, and I've usually not been able to complete a night of imaging due to the problem. I have have found some work-around by starting INDI and the drivers from the command line, and connecting to it from Ekos as a "remote" INDI instance on localhost, but still some aspects aren't reported in the GUI (like imaging/sequence progress).

What is happening here? Is there any option to fix without nuking my configuration, deleting everything, and restarting/reconfiguring everything from scratch? It seems like its an errant config option somewhere, but I've yet to find it.

Kstars 3.6.7 Stable
Build: 2023-09-30T20:07:56Z
INDI Library: 2.0.4
Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Chris Lewicki.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96291

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Never seen such behavior. How is your equipment profile configured?
6 months 2 weeks ago #96304

• Thank you received: 3
Screen shots of my configuration are as follows. I did not include individual screenshots of all the device configuration, but please advise if any of those details may matter.

My Options->Ekos is "Defaults"

In these recent problematic sessions the "Optical Trains" GUI pops up automatically, but I had to open it manually from the CCD Ekos tab (which is configured to "Primary" in the optical trains). I've played around with options within optical trains including the "Guide via" option, but had never needed this detail before, so I've left it blank.

When the schedule starts, the exact message is:
"Ekos detected an instance of INDI server running. Do you wish to shut down the existing instance before starting a new one?""

I'm often left with multiple instances of the main kstars window (/usr/bin/kstars process) running regardless of which option I choose on this dialog.

Let me know if additional information is helpful.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96313

Time to create page: 0.399 seconds