INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Need help with Autofocus

• Thank you received: 33
I have the SW130pds newt with ASI533 with Kstars/Ekos & INDI running on RPi4b. I am struggling to get the ZWO EAF to autofocus using Kstars 3.6.7. It works well using the older version (3.6.0)
I have tried to replicate the same parameters from the old version to the new. The problem seems to be that HFR calculation is off/different? So even if I can see donuts on screen the HFR readings are lower so Focus routine thinks its got the minima. :-(
If I switch the SD card to the older version and do an Autofocus its perfect. Can anyone help please.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by AstroMuni.
4 months 2 weeks ago #97495

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Need help with Autofocus

@John is this something that you can help with please?
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
4 months 2 weeks ago #97518

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Need help with Autofocus

John has addressed problems like this in his videos. They are extremely helpful and worthwhile!

Starting at around 29:30 he shows how and why donuts can lead to better HFR readings. Once you see this, you'll also understand how to tackle the problem. You'll want to start the focus run close to a good focus position. Also make sure your measuring points are not too far out of focus in order to avoid big donuts in the first place.
Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Alfred.
4 months 2 weeks ago #97522

Thanks Alfred. I have been using Kstars v3.6.0 for a while now and get lovely focus but it struggles with newer version. Hence trying to sort of work out a migration path (for want of a better term). As mentioned in my first post, I did a run with v3.6.7 and failed, so swapped SD card to v3.6.0 and got perfect focus for the same objects.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

Last edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by AstroMuni.
4 months 2 weeks ago #97574

• Thank you received: 281

Replied by John on topic Need help with Autofocus

Hi AstroMuni,

If you post up some screenshots of your settings and what Autofocus is showing that might be a good place to start.

If you are using SEP, did you check the SEP params settings between 3.6.7 and your previous versions.

Regards,
John.
4 months 2 weeks ago #97598

Thats a good point about SEP, John. I did check and they are identical.
Now to remember to take screenshots when it all goes pear shaped. I will enable saving of focus images and the focus logs. Now to just wait for the lovely clouds to part in our beautiful country :-)
Clear Skies,
Pramod

The following user(s) said Thank You: John
4 months 2 weeks ago #97602

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds