INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New to Kstars and EKOS - questions?

• Thank you received: 2
Here is one other thing that I came across. I have't read through it too much yet, but looks like another thing to play with -
astrophotoplus.gulinux.net/

Tom
5 years 2 months ago #35485

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 53
How do I stop Ubuntu from asking my PW ever other click? That's what I hate most about windows.
I don't want ANY password ever. It made me enter one when I installed it because it would not allow me to click NEXT until I entered one.

Also what is this "web manager util" I should get? and from where? I don't see it in the unbuntu software utilities.
AP Mach1 / CP4 APCC & PEMpro.
EXP SCI - ED152cf APO - Celestron 11" RASA - Stellarvue 80mm
Baader F2 HS NB filters, Lodestar X2 guide camera / OAG - ZWO 290mm mini
ZWO ASI1600MM Pro / ASI174M (solar) / ASI094MC
NEXDome, CLoudwatcher, AVX mount/ASIair and Stellarmate

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Ron Kramer.
5 years 2 months ago #35518

It's probably when you are installing software? I think it always does that since you need to be "admin" to install anything. Good question, I wonder if there is a way to turn that part off? For some reason I do have auto login set on my laptop (ubuntu 18.10) but it's still asking for a password. I'll have to investigate that, it's annoying logging in each time.

You can change your settings so that you are automatically logged in to your account when you start up your computer:
Open the Activities overview and start typing Users.
Click Users to open the panel.
Select the user account that you want to log in to automatically at startup.
Press Unlock and enter your password.
Toggle the Automatic Login switch to ON.
5 years 2 months ago #35520

I'm going to have to wait until I get it installed a PC or a PI - the VM is flaky... VM drives (as files etc).
I need to do a reinstall on the pi - so I'll wait to tweak that version. Else I'll look into adding a dual boot to the nuc.

5 years 2 months ago #35526

• Thank you received: 226
When you installed Ubuntu it makes you enter a password if you also keep the encryption setting on. So to get a more open system you have to make it unencrypted from the initial setup. You can learn more about that if you google how to make your system boot to desktop without a login screen. You will still need an admin password for any sudo commands, but that's generally not done while working with the software. Unfortunately there is no good way to unencrypt the system once it's been setup, your best option is to start over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Gwilym
5 years 2 months ago #35529

I've never picked the encryption option. I just figure that could cause a mess if (when!) I play around and screw something up. For some reason even with the "auto login" selected in the User settings, I still have to password my laptop with Ubuntu 18.10 to log in. Tried some tweaks to config files, but still need a password. A bug in the OS maybe?
I've been looking around for deals on a Pi3 B+ and see these nice complete starter kits with a box and all. I need to just jump in and start tinkering. I can always keep the Windows machine running (dual boot to Linux) while testing this out. I so badly want to get away from Windows.

www.amazon.com/dp/B07BCC8PK7/ref=sspa_dk...e9-b2cd-cda45475316a

Tom
5 years 2 months ago #35534

I wouldn't get a kit like that. All you really need is the pi, a cheap case, the best 64gb Class 10 SD card you're willing to spring for, maybe some heatsinks, and a good powered usb hub.
5 years 2 months ago #35537

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I haven't bought anything yet, but this does help. What is a decent amount of memory needed for the SD card? I figure using something Ubuntu Mate would be the smaller of the distros for this, not sure of the size it takes with the INDI / Kstars and such installed. 128 gig?

This looks more like a better starter with just the needed stuff. www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Power-S...Listed/dp/B07BC6WH7V
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Tom Gwilym.
5 years 2 months ago #35539

I find 64GB is plenty for OS, software, 2GB swap space and astrometry files. Barely use half the capacity.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom Gwilym
5 years 2 months ago #35541

Cool! I think I'll shop for some parts. Thanks.
5 years 2 months ago #35542

same here (no ecryption). I took a leap - and its with mixed emotions. What does that mean?

Last night I kicked around some partiions - burned and installed something called a MINT version. (wow)
classy.

Here's the good:

used full res of my dual monitors instantly. (the vm machine would not). It's fast, looks great and mint is suppose to help windows people convert. There are a lot of logistics that are the same. (start in lower left) menus etc. I have really enjoyed it at first. Other surprises. My wifi worked, my network works and I can see my other machines. (and access their files, load their photos and load their doc files etc.

Better yet to my surprise I could access my windows drives on the mint machine too. As well as read them, view the photos, videos, everything (except run a program of course).

Here's the bad part (in my 3 hours of use):

It doesn't know me or my history! It took me an hour to find this forum. No passwords or book marks or logins saved. EASY ENOUGH? I looked in firefox to import from my windows drive (firefox, and chrome). Nope - doesn't seem to allow it. (or at best it's a major hassle). I read something about going to windows version - EXPORTING a profile and book marks and then importing into mint version of firefox! what! I can access the win version of mozillas data from mint. Why can't I import! When I searched to import it says no other browsers installed. (no they're on windows). = ( BIG SIGH this isn't gonna be easy and I've only just begun.

I installed Kstars, Stellarium. I can't figure out how to install INDI yet. I wish I could IMPORT from that astronomy linux OS install I have.

So - if I partition and install on the dome PC - I think I should go right to the astrronomy linux package. (will this be a problem if I want to remote the PC computer from the "mint" desktop?
So what is this Astroberry? (how does that compare to the astronomy linux I have ?) a pi is coming today - what should I put on it? Are they all (mint/astroberry) compatible? I mean windows is windows (all these 12 or so linux spin offs are confusing!)

Tom (I ordered a small kit with case, power supply) 54. I think, then I added a clock 8.00. Should arrive today.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Ron Kramer.
5 years 2 months ago #35560

Mint is a good starter! It's basically Ubuntu with a different wrapper. Isn't it nice not to have to mess with video, network, and all those drivers to get it working? :-)
Ubuntu has a different default "Unity" interface with the taskbar on the left (which can be put on the bottom for a more "traditional" look).

As for passwords and history transfer, I'm not sure how that works. It's probably deeply hidden in there somewhere. I've used password managers to sync my passwords between my phone, Windows, Ubuntu...etc. I've tried KeyPass in the past but had trouble figuring out how to sync things. I broke down and paid $39 for a year (if I remember right) and use Dashlane. It very nicely syncs passwords and runs as a browser plug-in on Linux or an app in Windows or the iPhone....etc. It's been a lifesaver since I have way too many passwords!
I think I'll try AstroBerry on my Pi when it arrives later this week. Looks like a 'mini' version of Astronomy Linux.
I'll update my progress and findings this week! - but following along with Ron's discoveries (and hopefully not much trouble). ;-)
Tom
5 years 2 months ago #35568

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds