INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Pier side change by a simple click

• Thank you received: 161
Hi,

during equipment setup I regularly run into an issue with my Losmandy mount. Usually, I "warm start" the mount since the location remains the same. Once in a while though I change the pier side (I simply cannot remember which pier side was active when I used the mount last time) and as soon as I move the mount to a certain object I realize that Indi has the pier side wrong (declination directions are reversed). Unfortunately, I cannot change to the correct pier side by a simple click at the corresponding Indi button.

Would it be possible to allow users to select the correct pier side in the Indi control panel?
4 years 1 month ago #50763
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 370
A „change pier side“ is not that easy, since the pier side is in the autonomy of the mount firmware.

You could use a similar trick as we use for the meridian flip: slew to the current position again. If that does not help, try it again with setting “force meridian flip” in the mount settings.
-Wolfgang
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Wolfgang Reissenberger.
4 years 1 month ago #50911

• Thank you received: 62
Hi!

I also have a Losmandy, a G11, and I haven't seen this (doesn't mean it doesn't happen though... I miss a lot of things).

But: in what position is the mount when you shut down? Warm start does not, as I understand it, remember position. To do that, you need to "warm restart".

Does the mount align correctly?

I'll have a closer look at this tonight.

Magnus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
4 years 1 month ago #50914

• Thank you received: 161
Wolfgang and Magnus,

thank you very much for replying! The last time I did use the mount was in October 2019. I don't remember what pier side the mount was on when I shut everything down back then. I do not use any park or home functionality. After observation I use to remove the telescopes from the mount and in order to do that I loosen the clutches and the telescope position is changed manually. Polar alignment is close to perfect, never had any issues with it. Since the mount has not been moved but the telescope has, I use warm start as suggested in the manual. What I have missed is the fact that during warm start the mount assumes the telescope is in the startup position which usually is not the case here. I just have the telescope point somewhere, position the cross hairs in KStars close to that position and run the solver which reliably returns the exact position within a second. After that my telescope and Ekos are correctly synced, only the pier side is wrong 50% of the time. I didn't know Gemini doesn't allow Indi to select the pier side (thanks, Wolfgang!) I'd like to avoid a meridian flip.

My conclusion is I either have to first check what Ekos' current pier side is set to and then position the telescope accordingly OR warm start the mount with the telescope in startup position. .I think I now understand what's happening, thanks a lot for your help!

CS
Last edit: 4 years 1 month ago by Alfred.
4 years 1 month ago #50918

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds