INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

AstroArch - yet another raspberry distro for astrophotography for ARM64

• Thank you received: 109
Hi Val, thanks for the tip, I submitted my entry which is now listed on the page!
8 months 2 weeks ago #95159
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi Mattia,
first indoor test of AstroArch/KStars 3.6.6 with new indilib.
Everything is connected and seems to be functional (Touptek cam, EQ6 mount, DSD AF3 focuser).
Thanks
Stefan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mattia
8 months 2 weeks ago #95160
Hi Stefan!

As always, thanks for your fast response and quick preliminary tests! I much appreciate it!
===================================================================
FOR ALL

I found also the time to compile collimation circles 2.2.2, now it's time to dive into preparing the 1.7 release, see you all soon!
8 months 2 weeks ago #95164
  • Thank you received: 50
Thanks, @Mattia. I also have run up the new version of AstroArch indoors, and it looks good!
I have some ongoing issues with noVNC where the cursor disappears over some windows, but once I start up KStars it becomes visible again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mattia
8 months 2 weeks ago #95168
Thanks Val!

I had a test with krfb which is a KDE tool for vnc and I had good result. I am planning to drop x11vnc in favor of it, that should also help with a smoother experience.

Also, note that using a pure vnc client (like Tigervnc for example) instead of novnc in the browser gives actually better results when vncing, maybe you can give it a try!
8 months 2 weeks ago #95169
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi all,
after updating of AstroArch to the latest stable (KStars 3.6.6, Indilib 2.0.3) I had the chance to test that 2 times under the stars.
Had some strange effects not related to the AstroArch distri. Sometimes platesolv doesn't come back when making a picture with my toupcam imx 571.
Seems to be related to the new version and I read that the developers know about that bug :)
On the other side I tested a new OnStep-Mount (UMI17) successfully. Everything went good.
Here is the picture from last weekend (region surrounding bubble nebula). Most of the time used to take lights I was sleeping ;)
Regards
Stefan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Archer, Jerry Black
7 months 2 weeks ago #96036
Attachments:
  • Thank you received: 8
Okay. I have downloaded the astroarch distro and flashed it onto a micro SD card.
I find the following:
I can log onto the WiFi Hotspot but the first two of the suggested methods for connecting with browser , i.e.
astroarch.local:8080/vnc.html
and
http://RASPBERRY_IP:8080/vnc.html
do not work.
The third option does work: logging into the AstroArch hotspot and browsing to http://10.42.0.1:8080/vnc.html does show me the AstroArch screen. But this is not the way I want to work. I'd like my laptop to stay connected to its network.

In case it's relevant, I am running Ubuntu 23.04 on the laptop.

OH, WAIT!!!
Reading the instructions more carefully, I see that the first two methods of connection only work if the Pi is WIRED to the network. I certainly don't want to live that way.

How may I configure the system so that the Pi is on my network.
Please advise.
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by Steve Cohen. Reason: new info
7 months 2 weeks ago #96066
  • Thank you received: 34
[quote="Steve Cohen post=96066 userid=8905"]

OH, WAIT!!!
Reading the instructions more carefully, I see that the first two methods of connection only work if the Pi is WIRED to the network. I certainly don't want to live that way.  

How may I configure the system so that the Pi is on my network.
Please advise.[/quote]
You could set up Wifi connection on the RPi to connect to your Router. That way it should pick up an IP from your router at next boot
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 7 months 1 week ago by AstroMuni.
7 months 1 week ago #96129
  • Thank you received: 50
@mattia I have been following some discussion on FireCapture on the RPi and am pleased to read that ‘Ed’ has taken on the work from ‘Rafa’ who no longer uses RPis for astrophotography. It seems that Ed has reached a point where he has managed to get FC 2.7.13 working on AArch64. -

“I have an (apparently) working 64-bit (AArch64) 2.7.13 build completed. Need to do some tidying up and testing but it looks as though all the technical hurdles are out of the way.”

I (personally) very much like FireCapture and would welcome it if you could consider including FC in your development of AstroArch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan
7 months 1 week ago #96137
  • Thank you received: 29
Hi. I am that 'Ed'. The FireCapture 64-bit arm build is now in beta testing.

Note, this is an AArch64 (a.k.a. arm64) build built on 64-bit Bullseye Raspberry Pi OS, not Arch. I've never worked with Arch but I assume that it would only be a re-packaging exercise to add this in. All dependencies, including the jre, are in the package.

Regards
Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stefan, Mattia
7 months 1 week ago #96149

Yes, this is the right answer but it's a little more complicated than that. For example, the instructions for astroberry don't get this quite right when they say:
Adding the network via the GUI disconnects the noVNC session rendering it unusable. This cannot be done in real time.

AstroArch's directions don't lead you down that path, but they don't tell you how to set up the connection to your network either.

The right thing to do, once the connection is made via the hotspot is to add your home network SSID and password using the application
nm-connection-editor
, then rebooting the Pi. It is possible there may be latency periods involved. But once the connection is up, it should remain solid.
7 months 1 week ago #96150
Grrrrrrr! The quote mechanism is broken on this site. My previous post had quotes added and they are dropped when published!
7 months 1 week ago #96151
Moderators: Mattia
Time to create page: 1.256 seconds