INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

ASI1600 and GPSStartline

• Thank you received: 133
Yesterday I updated my astro installation, i.e., compiled indi and kstars from git.
Since then my ASI1600 is missbehaving. Or rather, maybe kstars is.
It seems to be related to a configuration entry named GPSStartLine. I have not the foggiest idea what that is. But it's always showing up if I remove the configuration files for the 1600 in $HOME/.indi

The issue is that when starting up this variable has a value of 49152. And things work. But if I go to the indi tab of kstars, there to the 'Controls' tab of the 1600, this value is shown as current. But the value in the 'set' field is 3519. And this is the maximum value that I am allowed to enter. And if I want to set any value of another variable there, GPSStartLine gets set to those 3519.

And after that, the camera will not finish exposures anymore. The exposure counter runs down to 0.10, stays there for a second or so, and then restarts the exposure. After 3 fails I get an error...

I had tried downgrading to the previous version of both INDI and KStars, but still had this problem. So it might be already an older problem (I usually don't touch any settings of the 1600). So for now I can't change any setting of the cam without 'bricking' it :-(

Can anyone confirm this? Where is the 3519 in kstars coming from? The xml.default file also has the 49152 in....
5 months 1 week ago #97217

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 133
OK, some more info.

The GPSStartLine variable is from the libASICamera2 library. Grep-ing for it signals a match. This is with the lastest 1.31 version of libasi. The previous version I had installed was version 1.29. grep doesn't find the variable there.

I've now connected the 1600 to my laptop, removed all earlier camera configuration (.ZWO/ASIconfig.xml and .indi/ZWO CCD ASI1600MM Pro_config.xml*). Then started kstars and EKOS/INDI with a local configuration and only the ZWO camera.
As said before, it comes up with a value of 49152 for GPSStartLine (and 269 for GPSEndLine, FWIW).
I can take a preview in the capture tab that way. If I enter e different gain/offset and press preview it does still do a preview, but does NOT change gain/offset.

I then tried setting up a single-frame sequence. That one first immediately aborted, my fault. I had still refocus-on-T-change active and it wanted to focus first...
After de-activating it the sequence ran, but without changing the gain/offset to the requested values. Log shows an error
complaining that GPSStartLine has a value outside the allowed range, and obviously then doesn't continue to set parameters.
If I change it to the allowed maximum, as reported earlier the exposures will no longer finish.

Worth to note is that the maximum allowed value (3519; for both StartLine and EndLine) is the sensor height of the ASI166 minus one, which makes me think something is initialized wrong(?). Are those limits coming from the library? Or is it within INDI?

I've now downgraded libasi and indi-asi to the last working state I had, and again removed INDI and ZWO config files.
With that, everything works as expected.

Would be great if someone with an ASI1600 could verify/confirm this issue... (it seems cam-specific, at least my 2600 doesn't show those GPS* variables)

Attached is the logfile of my test session.
5 months 1 week ago #97271
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 66
I can confirm the same issue with the ASI224MC. It does not appear to affect the ASI678MC.

github.com/aaronwmorris/indi-allsky/issues/1063

Setting GPSStartLine to 0 allows the ASI224MC to operate.

I am going to open a bug report in GitHub for this.
4 months 1 week ago #97665

• Thank you received: 66
4 months 1 week ago #97682

• Thank you received: 168
Workaround for this is now merged, should be in nightly soon as well.
4 months 6 days ago #97727

• Thank you received: 6

Replied by Marco on topic ASI1600 and GPSStartline

It appears ZWO just released a 1.33 SDK.
It says it includes important bug fixes, but it doesn't indicate whether that includes the GPSStartline bug.
Is it safe to update the SDK if it was not merged in INDI yet?

Edit: just confirming that replacing the 1.33 so in the system and verifying that the driver is running off 1.33, the GPS workaround is still necessary, or captures will fail.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Kennett
Last edit: 4 months 1 day ago by Marco. Reason: Test
4 months 2 days ago #97767

• Thank you received: 155
WOW! I had this EXACT same issue last night. I'm using the Mac OSX version so I'm not sure how to fix it.
I too noticed that changing the Gain and Offset in the EKOS control panel does not change the INDI driver for the ASI 1600MM like it used to. I ended up with 9 hours of images that I now have to shoot new darks for, as they had a gain and offset different than what I was expecting. :(

I hope this gets fixed soon!
3 months 3 weeks ago #97854

As others have reported, it is already solved by the new workaround in the driver, but I would also add that if you go in INDI server, Camera, Controls, set both GPS controls to 0 and save the device profile, it works perfectly and it also recalls in subsequent loadings.
3 months 3 weeks ago #97859

• Thank you received: 0
I can confirm same issue. Gain and offset can't change from the ekos panel. On the indi panel, the parameters, GPSSTartLine have the default value 49152, but if i set the value from the dial then only can i set to max at 3519 and the camera don't work.
Celestron C8 edge HD and mount AVX. Cameras ASI 1600MC and 178MM.
3 months 3 weeks ago #97860

Just set them to 0 and it should work
3 months 3 weeks ago #97862

Time to create page: 1.017 seconds