INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

QHY CCD troubles with USB3 cameras

• Thank you received: 4
my older QHY 462C used to work with my indi setup. I recently got a QHY 715C and tried to use it with my new setup. Unfortunately it does not work anymore with both cameras I have done a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and INDI full install with the PPA.. After some research, I recognized that the udev rules 85-qhyccd are missing. I downloaded the latest QHY Linux SDK and installed it. This should provide the udev rules and the fxload and firmware files. Still no success and I'm out of ideas now. Needless to say, both cameras work with the WIndows drivers, on the same hardware after dual booting into W11 and my old QHY 5L-II USB2 camera dows work with INDI too.

What could be wrong?

CS, Markus
2 months 1 day ago #99336

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114
Afaik QHY cameras need patched version of fxload. Clone this repository gitea.nouspiro.space/nou/astro-soft-build and run build-fxload.sh script
Last edit: 2 months 1 day ago by nou.
2 months 1 day ago #99337

ok, will give it a try later this evening. But the QHY SDK already came with a fxload that should be suitable and the PPA should have provided it in the first place....

CS, Markus
2 months 1 day ago #99339

problem solved, for some reason after another reboot it does work now after the installation of the QHY SDK. Hopefully the PPA will be repaired soon. After years of almost flawless service, it troubled me a lot since December.

CS, Markus
2 months 23 hours ago #99356

• Thank you received: 31
I suspect it was your "fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04 LTS" that was the problem. Every time Ubuntu does a substantial update it puts the old version of fxload back into sbin. I keep a copy named fxload.good there so I don't need to keep hunting for the right version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markus Kempf
2 months 17 hours ago #99361

• Thank you received: 38
Yeah, the QHY SDK does come with the correct FXLOAD, however the QHY SDK installs the support files in a separate location than where INDI stores the drivers.

I do not recommend you install the QHY SDK over the INDI installs, it screws up the locations of driver files.

I ALWAYS use the INDI drivers and compile the FX3LOAD myself after.

I wish we could include the FX3LOAD in the INDI drivers, however FX3LOAD is an OS specific file. We do not like to overwrite any system file from INDI.

I keep a copy of FX3LOAD handy and put it in when needed.

Just be aware, it's an OS distribution problem, Ubuntu is using such an old version of FXload and I have complained to Ubuntu, and other distros many times, but nothing gets done about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Markus Kempf
Last edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Sonny Cavazos.
1 month 4 weeks ago #99423

Time to create page: 1.179 seconds