INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI and Nikon D5000

• Thank you received: 0

INDI and Nikon D5000 was created by Akg

Hello,

I was trying to use Nikon D5000 as the primary imager for indi in kstars (3.0.0). When i start ekos and see the properties of camera, i dont see the tabs that are expected (like ccd info) and the indicators are all yellow and cannot capture any image. I dont have serial shutter release connected and camera is in manual mode. I have checked and captured image from camera using digikam and it works fine. Please see screenshots and indi and ccd driver logs attached. Thanks in advance.
3 years 11 months ago #54268
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 182

Replied by Jose Corazon on topic INDI and Nikon D5000

I seem to recall that the D5000 is too old and cannot be controlled by USB. You would need DSUSB for that to control the shutter.

The D3300 is a newer model and works just fine.

If you are invested in Nikon and can use the camera for regular DSLR photography, I would suggest getting a D3300 or D5300, which can also be used for astrophotography. However, you still will have to deal with the fact that the low pass filter on these DSLRs will block 80% of the Halpha emissions, so nebulae will still be a challenge.

My advice would be, if you are serious about astrophotography, get a ZWO camera like ASI183MC or the ASI1600MC or any other MC version (if you want OSC capability). And get the cooled versions. Do NOT skimp on the cooler part. That is the most important thing you can do to reduce thermal noise in your images.
3 years 11 months ago #54322

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Akg on topic INDI and Nikon D5000

Thanks. Yes I understand D5000 is old and not very suitable for this purpose. My real confusion was since digikam can capture images from the camera why would INDI fail since afaik both use gphoto library and I didn't see any particular failures in log.
3 years 11 months ago #54476

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds