INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Ekos shows mount position is wrong place in the sky

• Thank you received: 27
Hi,

I am experiencing a wreird problem with Ekos which I can't find a solution for. When I point my mount to an object in the sky using Kstars/Ekos, the the mount slews to the right position, but the mount position indicator in Kstars points towards a totally different position. I have tried to clear the mount model, clear the configuration, even installed a completely new Astroberry Server with all the latests updates, but the problem still occurs. I haven't been able to figure out the relation between the two coordinates (actual object position and mount indicator position). When pointing towards Polaris, these two coordinates are quite close to eachother, but further away from Polaris, the difference gets really big. It looks like there is only a difference in RA, as the Dec does show the right value.

My configuration:
I have a SkyWatcher HEQ5-Pro mount which I connect to Ekos using the Synscan driver (indi library version 1.9.1). I am using Kstars version 3.5.4 Stable, build: 2021-07-15T21:15:09Z. When connecting Ekos to my mount, my mount updates the time an location of Kstars. I checked these values and they are correct.

Reproduction scenario:
I setup my mount, polar align it, point it towards NCP and star align it.
Then I start Kstars and connect Ekos to my mount.
     Tne mount points towards the NCP and the mount position indicator also points towards the NCP which is about right.
Then I select another object in Kstars (e.g. Arcturus) and order the mount to slew towards it.
     The mount now slews towards Acrtutus and Arcturus appears in my view. However the mount position indicator in Kstars point somewhere else.
     The handset of my mount shows the location my mount is pointing to, which is Dec: 19 01'44" RA: 14h16m35s
     Kstars/Ekos shows slew target location: Dec: 19 01'57" RA: 14:16:32 which corresponds to the location my mount is pointing to.
     Kstars/Ekos shows the following mount coordinates: Dec: 19 14' 22" RA: 21h54m03s. The Dec is quite close, but the RA is way off.
Also see attached screenshot.

The main problem with this is that when I try to do some platesolving, it will fail, because the coordinates of the mount are so far off, that it will never find the right area to solve the exact mount location.
Also syncing the mount location does not work, it will still point way off.

Another position example:
When I slew my mount towards Castor I get the following coordinates:
    The handset of my mount shows the location my mount is pointing to, which is Dec: 31 50'25" RA: 07h36m02s
     Kstars/Ekos shows slew target location: Dec: 31 50'26" RA: 07:35:56 which corresponds to the location my mount is pointing to.
     Kstars/Ekos shows the following mount coordinates: Dec: 31 52' 52" RA: 17h40m30s. The Dec is quite close, but the RA is again way off.

I hope someone knows how to solve this problem. Am I doing something wrong, or it it a bug in Indi/Ekos/Kstars?

Kind regards,
AstroRunner
Off course if you need more information, don't be afraid to ask.
2 years 8 months ago #74201
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This bug is fixed in the nightly INDI releases, please check them out.
2 years 8 months ago #74203

• Thank you received: 140
So when will this really important fix be in the stable PPA, as I have the same issue, which makes it all unusable…. :(
2 years 8 months ago #74204

This affects only Synscan driver, not EQMod. It will be available in stable when INDI v1.9.2 is officially released.
2 years 8 months ago #74209

• Thank you received: 140
Yes, well having to use that driver as EQMOD does not work, as you well know…☹️
2 years 8 months ago #74233

• Thank you received: 27
Thanks for the quick replies.
One of the things I tried was to use the EQMod driver, but that didn't work.

I now have checked out the latest INDI Core sources and build them on my R-Pi3. Then installed the drivers and then it all worked again!

Thanks a lot for the help.
I will be looking forward for the new release again.

Kind regards,
AstroRunner
2 years 8 months ago #74369

• Thank you received: 0
Hi, is the issue really fixed in v1.9.2 for the Synscan driver?
I'm using a RPI with Astroberry image and updated it via the recommended update command.
However I still have thy issue in EKOS that the mount marker is jumping over the map during the Goto process and final stops at a wrong position in the map.
I also noticed that the port in the Synscan device has changed to Prolific USB instead of former /dev/tty/USB0 - see attachment.
Does this have an impact?
Thx in advance for any response and Clear Skies - Stefan

2 years 7 months ago #75761

Time to create page: 1.862 seconds