INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dec is consistently out by ~20 degrees after meridian flip

• Thank you received: 1
Been out a couple of times recently after a hiatus and noticed the meridian flip goes well up until the point of solving and can never find where it is.

That's when I stop things, download an image and solve it manually, only to find out the dec is out by around 20 degrees. RA is perfectly fine

I'm using a HEQ5 Pro running Stellarmate on an RPi 4, Kstars 3.6.0 stable (Thought it would with the package updater)

My current routine is simply: Polar align, reset to home position, slew to meridian to calibrate guiding, solve, slew to target and solve.

Do I need to have a better mount model perhaps and slew to targets further away to build it before slewing to intended target?

Edit: On a side note, I'm not sure why KStars didn't get updated with the package updater + I've checked on the terminal and there's no updates.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Matt Baker.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94638

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are you running on Astroberry or StellarMate? If it is the latter, you can download and flash the latest version (www.stellarmate.com/support/faq.html?view=faq&faqid=43)
8 months 2 weeks ago #94661

• Thank you received: 133
20 degrees is a LOT. The only thing immediately coming up as explanation would be a too tight declination gear meshing that makes the motor lose steps when slewing. Are you close to the mount? Can you hear 'strange' noise?
8 months 1 week ago #94853

• Thank you received: 23
Using an NEQ6 and can confirm:
Too tight RA/DEC gear meshing makes the motor lose steps when slewing, even without 'strange' noise.

Try loosening the RA/DEC worms so you can feel some slack. And then perform another MF to determine the deviation.
If that works, adjust the RA/DEC worms in small steps to minimise backlash.

It will take some time, but the good thing is that you can do this during the day.
8 months 1 week ago #94865

Time to create page: 0.612 seconds