INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

How to approach the greedy Scheduler with multiple targets?

• Thank you received: 6
For years, I used to create a new schedule for each night with varying list of targets. I calculated good time to go from one target to another with external tools. In Ekos I would use Classic mode with precise order and stop times to avoid the Scheduler to make any scheduling decisions :)
For the next three nights I want to do the same targets, so I decided to try actually using the Scheduler. Not very successful, hence the topic. I reverted back to 'manual mode', here is the schedule for tonight:

The last line is for flats, ignore it for now. My desired prioritized list:
  1. IC 1795 starting 10° (40 min) before meridian
  2. NGC 7635, same condition
  3. M 27 while the first two are too low
On the screenshot, I calculated the times and set M 27 and NGC 7635 to run ASAP and repeat until the appropriate time. The last, IC 1795 starts ASAP and repeats until the dawn time.
In my attempt to let the Scheduler think, I set
  • all three to repeat until terminated
  • IC 1795 and NGC 7635 to start at culmination offset -40 min
  • M 27 to start ASAP
Should the order of these three entries matter at all? No matter how I order them I can't get the desired plan. At best, I get two of them right and the third is left out. Or even just run M 27 for the entire night and ignore the two others.
What is the right approach to get such plan running for a week without manual tweaking every evening?
7 months 1 week ago #95979
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 87
I am not sure if this would work but try to assign your jobs to a group (left-hand side of the scheduler)
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
7 months 1 week ago #95982

• Thank you received: 566
@Konstantin

Please have a look at the KStars Handbook, see docs.kde.org/trunk5/en/kstars/kstars/too....html#ekos-scheduler
It should be pretty up-to-date.

Bottom line:
- Order matters. The earlier rows (closer to the top of the table) have higher priority than the lower ones.
- I use altitude, artificial horizon, and, of course, twilight as my constraints and get the jobs to run based on that.
- Make sure you understand what 'remember job progress' does, if you have that checked (and I recommend you do have that checked).
- You can use groups, as max suggested to have several jobs alternate.
- Culmination doesn't work with Greedy, and since the classic scheduler is going away, so will the culmination offset box.
indilib.org/forum/general/13537-schedule...gorithm-changes.html

Feel free to post further questions if you can't figure it out and I'd be happy to take a look.
Hy
7 months 1 week ago #95995

• Thank you received: 6
Hy,

Thanks for the pointers! It seems, your last point about culmination is the reason why it didn't work for me as I desired.
7 months 1 week ago #95996

Time to create page: 0.433 seconds