INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Re:Voyager Web Dashboard

• Thank you received: 139
Have you all seen the Voyager Web Dashboard ? This is pretty amazing. To me, this feels like the future of embedded imaging systems. Some small device running at the scope that broadcasts a web interface. Do away with all the desktop applications in favor of a system like this.

How close is EKOS live to something like this? Can EKOS live save images to the local device, or is it only cloud image saving? If EKOS were to move to a model like this, it seems like it would save a lot of headaches with iOS/Android, Mac/PC development, and all developers would be able to focus on improving a single system.
3 years 11 months ago #55289

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Voyager Web Dashboard

Ekos has a D-Bus API, which an external process can bridge to serve such a web service. It doesn't change the fact that Ekos has to run somewhere. The current version is quite efficiently portable between Linux, Windows and Macintosh.

-Eric
3 years 11 months ago #55291

• Thank you received: 139
Sure, it seems it would run on the Pi. They're very capable now, but it would be cool if what was exposed to the user was the web interface instead of dealing with VNC, or running natively on your own desktop. Voyager's seems especially well done, though I've never used it personally. I only checked out their trial for a few days without doing any actual imaging.

While it is portable between the three Major OS systems, is seems that there are still unique issues that pop up with each platform after every version update. To me, developing it for one platform, would pair down the issues, and since the primary interface would be exposed in a web browser, you get a platform agnostic access to control the unit. No mobile app required, no multiple OS versions required. I'm not a developer, but this appears less complex, and is more inclusive of other systems that can control it. If not for the main branch, then this seems like a possibility for StellarMate.
3 years 11 months ago #55297

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds