INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Too much focusing going on.

• Thank you received: 31
I have an issue that i want to focus with my Ha filter but align using the L filter.
I have the software set to focus on a filter change and after 120 minutes.
When I use the scheduler it performs a focus run using the Ha filter and then aligns using the L filter, but because I have refocus on filter change set, it will then perform a second focus run using the Ha filter. If it fails to align it can go through the same process multiple times.
As the filter used for focusing has not changed it is not required to keep doing this but I cannot see a way of stopping it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paul
1 month 5 days ago #99845

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 281

Replied by John on topic Too much focusing going on.

Hi Paul,

Let me replay what you said to make sure I understand what's happening...

You want to image on Ha but use L for alignment. So...
1. On startup the system ensures focus by focusing on Ha.
2. The next step is alignment. If you set Align to L then the L filter will be swapped in.
3. As you have Autofocus on filter change set, Focus will Autofocus on L.
4. Align then runs, when complete Ha is swapped back.
5. As you have Autofocus on filter change set for Ha then Focus will Autofocus.
6. Sequence starts on Ha.

The above is how I would expect things to work.

If you are thinking steps 1 and 5 are only a couple of minutes apart so in 5. why can't it just use the focus position from 1?

An alternative to Autofocusing every time is to set Filter Offsets so for example when you swap in L, Focus would apply the Ha->Lum offset as opposed to running Autofocus.
1 month 5 days ago #99846

• Thank you received: 31

Replied by Paul on topic Too much focusing going on.

John,

From the above
1. On startup the system ensures focus by focusing on Ha. Correct.
2. The next step is alignment. If you set Align to L then the L filter will be swapped in. Correct.
3. As you have Autofocus on filter change set, Focus will Autofocus on L. Incorrect - I do not want this and it does not happen.
4. Align then runs, when complete Ha is swapped back. Correct.
5. As you have Autofocus on filter change set for Ha then Focus will Autofocus. Happens but is not required.
6. Sequence starts on Ha. Correct.

I don't use offsets as the focus position is not always reproducable. I don't want or need a focus on L as it is okay for alignment without a refocus. I cannot align using Ha.
I effectively only want alignment for imaging not alignment.

Paul
1 month 5 days ago #99851

• Thank you received: 281

Replied by John on topic Too much focusing going on.

Thanks for the info Paul.

I guess you have Ha configured for Autofocus on filter change but L not set to Autofocus on Filter Change.

I think you're options are:
1. Fix not being able to align on Ha. My guess it that you have exposure set too short (probably set appropriately for L) so the stars are too faint on Ha. So you can increase the exposure and / or gain. I use roughly a x5 exposure factor for narrowband so if you use 2s for L to align you may need 10s on Ha (depends on filters of course so may be different on your setup).
2. Turn off Ha focus on filter change. The scheduler will still Focus on startup. You may need to think about your 120min refocus setting depending on what you're doing.
1 month 5 days ago #99853

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds