INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

The importance of a good connection to INDI server when running a remote system.

• Thank you received: 38
I recently had many untraceable K-Stars closes with the system running from my Windows PC in my home.

I replaced all USB3 and USB2 cables, made sure the power connectors were solid, everything I could to try and solve this issue, however the issues continued.

I have INDI Server (INDIWEB) running on an Intel BOX with Ubuntu 22.04. I have my equipment connected VIA an ethernet cable, and it is about 70 meters from my home. This was just standard ethernet cable (not an outdoor cable).

I had noticed when I would PING the box every now and then I would lose a packet (maybe once every 2 or 3 minutes), also noticed sometimes my images coming in had issues, like half an image or the image was not formatted properly.

So yesterday I installed Armored Optical fiber to my outdoor POE Hub. These cables have gotten so much cheaper than last I looked. GBICs for 1.25GB costs about $12 on Amazon.

That made such a difference! Not one random close down of K-Stars. And much better image transfer speeds.

I can only conclude that the ethernet cable was starting to degrade, causing disconnections or lost packets which caused these issues.

Curious if people with WIFI experience more issues due to connection stability?

-Sonny
9 months 20 hours ago #94227

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 20
Sonny,

I use WiFi 5GHz band to get to my remote, about 60 feet from the router, to another router setup in bridge mode, and have no issues at all. Switching to 5GHz also cut my image downloads from 2.5 seconds to 0.25 seconds.I run ehternet from the bridged router to the RPi running StellarMate.

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sonny Cavazos
9 months 8 hours ago #94239

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.342 seconds