INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Stellarmate server RPi connection issues via Ekos

• Thank you received: 5
Hi,
I've recently been having a weird issue connecting to the stellermate server on RPi via Ekos. Once I try to connect the Kstars app crashes. When I connect via the stellarmate app on my iPhone there are no issues. I then try again via ekos and it works. I have been using this method for a couple of weeks. But now this method doesn't work anymore. What I have been doing now is looking at the IP address that the stellarmate app is using and entering the same one into the particular profile I'm using in ekos. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to set this up correctly?

Thank you,
Eli
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Eli Ron.
8 months 3 weeks ago #94711

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I presume everything is running on RPI4? If yes, start KStars via "Ekos Debugger" tool on the desktop, and if it indeed crashes after you connect from App, then you'll get a log that you can share.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94735

Hi Jasem,
Thank you for the quick reply. I’m running Kstars and ekos on my Mac I’m just remotely connecting to the RPi which is connected to my rig for indi. Can I run the ekos debugger from my Mac?
Thank you,
Eli
8 months 2 weeks ago #94744

There is no Ekos Debugger on MacOS, I'm going to have to test this locally and see if I can reproduce the crash.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94766

I don't know if this helps but here is a screen shot. When I replace localhost with the IP address that the stellarmate app uses on my iPhone it connects.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94768
Attachments:

oh you need to put the IP address for StellarMate, that's how it's supposed to work. It's still not supposed to crash, but you need to use it correctly.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94769

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

oh, ok, so then I'm supposed to type in an IP address. I guess I was under the impression that egos on the Mac will work the same way as the stellarmate app where it finds the IP address on its own. If I didn't have the stellarmate app how would I know what IP address to enter. I'm sorry I know these are really remedial questions but I'm not great with understanding networks yet. but I'm working on it.

Thank you!
Eli
8 months 2 weeks ago #94770

This is basic networking paradigm. If you want to connect to a remote device, you need to know its IP Address. SM App provides this, but you could also get it from your router for example (some routers show a list of clients connected to it).
8 months 2 weeks ago #94771

Actually, if you put stellarmate.local it might also work fine, no need to explicitly put the IP address. But sometimes DNS lookup of stellarmate.local does not work so the IP address is the safest bet. Try with stellarmate.local and see if this works.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94772

Stellarmate.local worked!

I looked up my IP address in wifi-setting and noticed that the first 3 sets of numbers are identical but the last couple of digits differ from what stellarmate is using. in any case I still have some learning to do. But thank you very much for your time and I'm glad I got this settled.

Eli
8 months 2 weeks ago #94773

• Thank you received: 28

Mac, iOS, Windows, and Linux (including StellarMate OS) can use bonjour / mDNS to resolve stellarmate.local names.
Normally, stellarmate.local will work instead of IP address.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94783

Thank you tkakura! Slowly but surely I think I'm getting the hang of all this networking stuff. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tkakura
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Eli Ron.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94789

Time to create page: 1.358 seconds