INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Flip mount, I don't understand...

• Thank you received: 10
Yes thank you !
My path is : /home/stellarmate/.local/share/kstars/align/2023-10-11
So, I suppose you don't want all the pictures ?
Only the last ?
6 months 2 weeks ago #96384
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 566
No, you're not quite there.
I was hoping for the files in the align/failed directory, not the align/**date** directory.

You should only have files in those dates directories if you checked the box "Save Align Images".
I asked you to check the "Save Failed Align Images" box. Do you think you checked the wrong box?

Hy
6 months 2 weeks ago #96385

Hello Hy,
Ok, I understand... But I've the Kstar 3.6.6 and I don't know how to update this version from the Raspberry.
I'll save the log this night if the sky is clear.
Frank
6 months 2 weeks ago #96403

If you can't use 3.6.7, then instead check the save align images box, which saves all of them, whether they succeed or not. That checkbox should be in 3.6.6. Without seeing your images it will be harder to debug.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96404

Ok, thank you for your time...
I've updated Kstars and I have this option now.
I'll do that asap but the weather isn't good for the week.
Thank you again,
Frank
Last edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Frank.
6 months 2 weeks ago #96409

• Thank you received: 1
Hy,

I also have a similar problem with meridian flips as Frank. I didn't use it during spring/summer, but since late summer I've had a heavier Newton telescope for which I wanted to use the original mount tripod. The meridian flip failed twice in September. I noticed that after the failed flip, the telescope did not return to the park position, but landed significantly away from the meridian.

I have since decided my imaging sessions, one before and a second after the meridian transit.
Since this procedure is time-consuming, I made several attempts last night to understand my problem:

1. PAA was successfully completed, then the telescope returned to the park position (time 19:33:28), RA: "02h 07m 54s" DE: "90° 00' 00"
2. I then approached several stars and then returned to the park position because the solver partially failed (time 19:49:25 (solver OK), 19:54:03 (solver failed), 19:58: 37 (solver OK), 20:29:01 (solver failed), 20:31:34 (solver failed)). The parking position was different in each case, but DEC was DE: "78° 26' 40". Shouldn't the telescope have returned to DEC 90° 00' 00''?
3. I did another PAA after that to correct the mount model. The overnight session with the scheduler after the transit was then successful. The session was canceled at 05:41:27 due to dusk.
4. This morning I manually put the telescope in the park position at 07:44:09, DE: " 90° 00' 00 (!!) , because after the scheduler was aborted, the park position was not approached and the focuser was not in the 0 position (can one do this with a script?).

I loaded the “failed-align-frames” and the log to www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/61fbrglby93reqgv1...fd2cm2viyn531kx&dl=0 . I never used dropbox so far, so if there is any issue with the link let me know.
Any information about my issue is welcome.

Thanks
Kurt
6 months 1 week ago #96545

Kurt,

Thanks for uploading the images and log.

I'm not really sure what is going on, but I have a few ideas.
Please look at stellarmate.com/support/faq/mounts.html?view=faq&faqid=33
I can see for the first few failed solves the scope was trying to go to DEC=58 (but apparently wound up at DEC=81).
[2023-10-17T20:25:13.611 CEST INFO ][ org.kde.kstars.indi] - EQMod Mount : "[INFO] Slewing to RA: 22:48:19 - DEC: 58:15:37 "
but when I blind solve I get DEC=81.28

So, your slews were very inaccurate. You really shouldn't be off by 23 degrees, so you should tighten that up.
Perhaps look at stellarmate.com/support/faq/mounts.html?view=faq&faqid=33

As you point out, you can successfully solve, e.g. in the polar alignment and in other places.
Of course, in the polar alignment, your slews are not 20+ degrees off from where they should be.
Perhaps that's why they succeeded?

Here are a few other things to try (after trying the above procedure to get your eqmod mount in a known park position):

1) Could you try using a scale unit of arcsec_per_pixel instead of arcminutes width?
Your correct scale, I believe, is 2.1 arcseconds-per-pixel. Start with it set to that.
Of course, the other setting should work, but I'd like to see if there's something wrong with the code there.
The units are set in the align options menu in the "scale and position" tab.
The (silly) "aw" means arcminute width, "dw" means degrees width, and "app" means arcseconds-per-pixel.

2) If the above doesn't work, try solving all your failed images blindly--by unchecking use_scale and use_position in the align options. It would be better/quicker to have these checked, but this should unconstrain the solver, and perhaps allow it to find the solution. If things start working more smoothly you might try to re-check these.

Let us know how that goes,
Hy
6 months 1 week ago #96577

Thank you Hy for your detailed analysis.
I will look at your suggestions and then report back here.
Unfortunately, the weather forecast for the next two weeks is unfavorable, so that I don't yet know when I'll be able to go into the garden with the telescope again.

Kurt
6 months 1 week ago #96579

Hy,

After nine weeks of cloudy nights, I was able to try the procedure you suggested today and it was successful. I wasn't aware that one should do that.

BTW: the link stellarmate.com/support/faq/mounts.html?view=faq&faqid=33 returns a 404 error.

So issue closed.

Thanks Hy
Last edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Kurt Bierbaum.
4 months 1 week ago #97684

Hy,
The weather is cloudly since two months... I can't send you my log to find a solution.
I hope to do that at the begining of january if I'm lucky.
Frank
4 months 1 week ago #97685

Time to create page: 0.681 seconds