INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Kstars 3.6.9

• Thank you received: 158

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Kstars 3.6.9

This fixed the “corrupt file” error that I got:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Willi
2 weeks 1 day ago #100601

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Ron M on topic Kstars 3.6.9

I reported this in earlier posts. I got the same error installing the 3.6.8 beta and 3.7.

After telling settings security, to open it, I 'got around it' with 3.7 by dragging 3.7 'to the desktop' instead of in the Mac applications folder. No idea why that works. Then found all the INDI drivers in the Kstars MacOS directory were 'corrupt' - I presume it copied in from the beta version so deleted all in the directory and reinstalled 3.7 - Sonoma on M1 Mac. It was all part of 'the disaster' of 3.8.9 beta, but now 3.7 seems to work.
2 weeks 1 day ago #100602

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Ettore on topic Kstars 3.6.9

Thanks Peter
Ettore
2 weeks 1 day ago #100603

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Willi on topic Kstars 3.6.9

On my MBP / M1Pro on macOS 14.4.1. (Sonoma), KStars 3.7. worked right out off the box (using the right mouse click + open procedure to start it up). No terminal command or anything else to change or fix. From the Application folder.
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by Willi.
2 weeks 1 day ago #100604

• Thank you received: 158

Replied by Peter Kennett on topic Kstars 3.6.9

Might be an issue with those using INTEL Macs and Sonoma.
I'm running Sonima on an old 2012 Intel Mac and had to use the above "xattr -cr" remove attributes command.
2 weeks 1 day ago #100605

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by Osvaldo Paez on topic Kstars 3.6.9

It still doesn't work 3.7 on my OSX, I had to go back to 3.6.8 stable or my Windows (yuck)

Last edit: 2 weeks 9 hours ago by Osvaldo Paez.
2 weeks 9 hours ago #100628
Attachments:

As stated above in Rob's post, version 3.7 only works on macOS 14.x (Sonoma) and likely also only on Macs with -Silicon (M1, M2, M3).
Last edit: 2 weeks 8 hours ago by Willi.
2 weeks 8 hours ago #100629

• Thank you received: 12

Replied by Bill Tschumy on topic Kstars 3.6.9

No, Sonoma and version 3.7 also works on Intel hardware, which I have.
2 weeks 7 hours ago #100630

• Thank you received: 819

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Kstars 3.6.9

Yes, it definitely works on Intel since I built the DMG on an Intel Mac and I use it on one.
2 weeks 6 hours ago #100632

Very good then :-). Well, that was the assumption by someone else in an earlier post.

May I ask again about compiling INDI 3rd party drivers for KStars on macOS? ... Those are typically being compiled for the LINUX version.

In particular, for the AvalonUD mount .
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 hours ago by Willi.
2 weeks 4 hours ago #100634

• Thank you received: 819

Replied by Rob Lancaster on topic Kstars 3.6.9

Sure, so originally when I was porting KStars to Mac, I always built the drivers and KStars with home-brew. When we started trying to distribute it to others, that was not going to work for many users, since most people would not have home-brew installed, so we needed to wrap it all up into the KStars App bundle to make it easier to use. So the drivers are built and bundled into the app now. They really can't be separated, since both KStars and the drivers depend on certain dynamic libraries that get bundled into the app and those libraries would not exist on your Mac outside of the app bundle unless you have home-brew, so they really do come together as one. A few years ago, we switched to craft to build everything because it is better suited for that purpose than home-brew, and it can certainly build the drivers now with no problem. The issue right now is that we are changing our craft recipes to update how it is done and get it working again with hopefully daily builds. But, we might have to update to QT6 as well. Home-brew is certainly also capable of building and installing all the library dependencies of the drivers, and then you could build the drivers. But I don't think I currently have a script set up to do that since craft has been working so much better for us overall.
2 weeks 3 hours ago #100635

Thank you for all the background info.
I tried once to build the 3rd party INDI driver myself but ran into a bunch of error messages. Then I realized that some of the LINUX distributions of KStars come with the drivers already precompiled and readily available.
Is the same possible for KStars on macOS? Of course it would make the package bigger because of all the extra libraries. It would certainly extend the usability of KStars on the Mac.
Last edit: 1 week 6 days ago by Willi.
1 week 6 days ago #100637

Time to create page: 1.146 seconds