INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Dither every x frames as a per job parameter

• Thank you received: 6
When imaging with variable gain CMOS cameras, exposure times can vary quite a bit depending on the filter. During a given observation night, one could be imaging in a broadband filter with as short as 30s exposures and then switch to a 3nm narrowband filter requiring 300+ secs. In such a scenario, it is common to dither every x minutes to cap session overhead. For example, every 3 minutes, resulting in every 6 frames while in broadband, but every frame when in narrow.
The current implementation requires manual change of the parameter and I also noticed potential for instability when changing the parameters during a session, in the form of dithering not being triggered.
It would be great to have it as a parameter for a given Capture sequence filter Job, or at least have the ability to change the setting programmatically via a script that could be run at job start/end for a given filter.
Last edit: 6 months 3 weeks ago by Marco.
6 months 3 weeks ago #96255

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 86
I second this request.
I think it would be nice to have it dither every X minutes instead of Y frames.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
6 months 3 weeks ago #96263

• Thank you received: 6
Coming back to this,
a possible workaround that I am trying to implement is to disable automatic dithering, and use DBus to trigger a manual dither after a capture job.
I was able to trigger the dither, but that is not enough because Capture will not be paused waiting for a settle.
The next step would be to implement the following script, and I have the questions indicated in red below for any developer who is so kind as to take a look:
1) Suspend Capture: for this, what's the difference between the Suspend and Pause methods in DBus?
2) DIther
3) Subscribe to the newStatus or newLog signals of Guide and wait for the settle signal, with a timeout similar to the default ekos implemetation. What I am looking for is the "Dithering completed successfully." log. Can you confirm that this corresponds to the variant newStatus with a value of 18? In the guide.cpp I see that these are constants, but I'm having a hard time to find the #ðefines for these.
4) Wait for any additonal amount of time as set in the global KStars guiding settle option (not the Guide one)
5) Resume Capture
Does this sound right?
It would clearly be great if we could at least get the dither every #n frames setting exposed as a DBus property that we can change programmatically: I'm not sure, but it could be easier on the devs than my original request of having the option as a per-job property of a sequence?
Thanks!
5 months 4 weeks ago #96840

• Thank you received: 8
Yes, I think this feature could help.
Sometimes I mix long exposures sequences with lucky imaging technique (1-3 seconds of subframe) and if I forget to change the dither setting, I spend more time to dither than imaging :lol:
1 month 8 hours ago #99999

• Thank you received: 281
This was added quite recently....

It allows you to override the global dither setting per job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matteo, Marco
4 weeks 1 day ago #100030
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.456 seconds