INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Force Meridian Flip

• Thank you received: 19
Hi there!

Like in the other group already asked, i am interested in a function to perform a instant meridian Flip.
At my location i have really good view from North-Northeast to West. Since i am stationary here and have to get up early to work i often let the system run until i have to get up. But this most of the time is only able after i did the meridian flip to prevent the system from hitting the mount. I already have a tripod extension that works very well and gets me a lot of additional time but its not totally safe.

If i would be able to perform the flip earlier i could go to sleep earlier and with a safer feeling.

I think there would be some more people who would find this useful.

cheers
Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 6 months ago #30429

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Force Meridian Flip

I don't think that's possible unless perhaps with something like EQMod or a custom mount. Even for EQMod it would take quite a bit of work to get it. Why don't you run the scheduler and go sleep?
5 years 6 months ago #30435

• Thank you received: 420
As I wrote in the other post:

I agree that this would be a VERY useful feature. In my backyard the sky to the west is very light due to the presence of a big city (4M inhabitants) but to the east much darker. If I could swing my telescope west of the mount and west of the meridian and let it image then that would save me a meridian flip.

To add to this: not having to do a meridian flip saves time which can be used for imaging. I use Skywatcher SynScan mounts (an HEQ5 and an EQ6-R) via EQMod.

EDIT: the other post is here .
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Wouter van Reeven.
5 years 6 months ago #30436

Replied by the.cakemaker on topic Force Meridian Flip

Hey Jasem!

Yes i know that you are right. Running the scheduler would be the choice...
In my case things are different.

I use my mgen device. And because i am dithering with it too, i have to use it to take the exposures too, naturally.
Thats why i always hope for mgen support of kstars.

And this device works so well, that i do not want to change as long as it is working.

But i am already working on learning how to use "the whole thing" Guidescope and ASI are here.
I just thought maybe it would be able to make a "force meridian flip"

cheers, Niki
Skywatcher EQ6-R | Lacerta 10" Carbon-Newton | Lacerta MFoc Motorfocus | Moravian G2 8300 Color | Canon EOS 5DMarkIIIa | Lodestar X2 guiding cam | KSTARS 3.4.3. on my outdoor-Laptop with KDE-Neon/Plasma | KSTARS 3.4.3. on Remote-IMac with Catalina | KSTARS 3.4.3 on Remote-Macbook Air with Catalina
5 years 6 months ago #30441

• Thank you received: 301

Replied by Eric on topic Re:Force Meridian Flip

Have you experimented with the switch forcing the counterweights up in the eqmod indi panel? This should allow you to execute a goto east of the meridian, with the scope on east side of the pier, pointing west.
However, it is not configurable via Ekos. So the method with Ekos is to first align a target west of the meridian to produce sync points, then to toggle the INDI option to force the counterweights up, then to slew to the target that is east of the meridian, hoping that it will align close enough.
I did not dig much into that feature. It's also intermixed with the horizon limits but I don't know to which extent.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wouter van Reeven
5 years 6 months ago #30443

• Thank you received: 420
Ah I hadn't seen that option yet! I just gave it a try in my living room pretending to slew to alpha Peg (which is east of the meridian right now) and the mount does slew such that the telescope is east of the meridian with the counter weights up! So I guess if I would start imaging now with "Meridian Flip If Ha >" not enabled in the CCD & Filter Wheel tab, it would indeed not do a meridian flip. That's great! Unfortunately the weather here near Madrid is very bad at the moment but I will give this a try as soon as I can. Thanks!!!
5 years 6 months ago #30444

Hey!

Did not know that option, i ´ll give that a try.

Thanx

Cheers, Niki
5 years 6 months ago #30449

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds