INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Poor FPS when streaming

Andreok,

Thank you for your feedback. I will be done with implementing this feature today. Already started on it yesterday and found it to be straightforward actually to implement. Also, with the new websocket powered INDI drivers, I am getting around ~9-10 FPS.. before it was 5-6 FPS max. KStars nightly should have the updated interface and I'll post a video here later on what to expect.

The INDI GPhoto driver also uses now a dedicated thread for this which substantially improved the performance. These changes will boost the performance of all INDI CCD drivers. For V4L2 drivers, now I can get 30+ FPS in KStars :-)
5 years 1 month ago #33919

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

So what do you guys think of this? I think the interface is pretty simple to use?

It's actually a lot faster now.. sometimes I get 25fps from Canon live view. It's vast improvement over older driver!
5 years 1 month ago #33932
Attachments:

dslr.mp4

• Thank you received: 1
Jasem,
This is great! Really handy for manual focusing!
The Preview from Ekos use the Streaming feature/tab from the Photo driver?
I'm asking this because I want to use the driver to capture planetary SER files for Lucky Imaging of the Live View frames of my DSLR.
Thanks,
Andre
5 years 1 month ago #33936

• Thank you received: 159

Replied by Alfred on topic Poor FPS when streaming

In my case the Zoom Out button does not work. The frame rate remained the same as before. Am I missing something? I compiled indi and kstars from GIT a few minutes ago. The cam is connected locally.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Alfred.
5 years 1 month ago #33937
Attachments:
  • screenreco...22-2.mkv

Absolutely. I just recorded SER at 20 FPS perfectly fine. However, beware the file will be REALLY large. For 30 seconds or so, it's around 88MB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andre Kovacs
5 years 1 month ago #33938

Ok, toupcam did not compile. Have to figure this one out first...
5 years 1 month ago #33940

HERRHAUSEN, it's not yet in master. it's on warp_work branch. I need to make sure all cameras would work fine. There are basically two changes:

1. Core behavior change in INDI::CCD for async uploads. This had a major impact on performance.
2. Support for websockets. This had minimal impact on performance. For the DSLR cases. Without websockets, it's about 16FPS, with websockets it's about 21FPS. But since this depends on client support, it's optional.
5 years 1 month ago #33941

Ok, I tried to install warp_work but didn't succeed. I guess this is a bit too ambitious for a n0Ob like me since I don't really know what I am doing. Just let me know when it is in master.
5 years 1 month ago #33943

Yes better wait until it's semi-stable. The zoom-out problem exists and the only way around it now is to restart the liveview.
5 years 1 month ago #33944

I now get between 17 and 22 fps with the 5D Mk2 but neither the zoom in nor zoom out button has any effect.
5 years 1 month ago #34108

yeah it's limited by the camera since we pull the FULL image and then subframe it in software so the FPS won't change. But still, this is <strong>much</strong> better than before!

EDIT: regarding the zoom in / zoom out, it depends if the driver defines its. Looks in INDI control, do you see eoszoom property anywhere? I have this on my 600D.
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 1 month ago #34121

The 5D Mk2 does provide this property. I pulled the latest git and still the buttons have no effect. Also, when deactivating Preview it now takes several seconds for the Preview window to close. (see attached video)

BTW, the GUI looks awkwardly in 4k.

[EDIT: Closing the window doesn't take several seconds all the time as I tried again and now the window opens and closes as expected. However, the zoom buttons remain without effect.]

5 years 1 month ago #34211
Attachments:
  • Screenshot_20190128_160109-1280.png
  • screenreco...1-28.mkv

Time to create page: 0.577 seconds