INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Poor FPS when streaming

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Poor FPS when streaming

Yes. Much much better! Still the buttons/sliders do not work 100% of the time. Have a look at the video:

At
1:20 magnification change doesn't have an effect
2:43 top slider is without effect
3:49 lower slider without effect

Does the 10x magnification work with other cameras? If not, the 10x option should be removed for the time being.
5 years 2 months ago #34267
Attachments:

screenreco...29-2.mkv

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Did you notice between 4:15 and 5:00 setting magnification to 1 activated 5x and vice versa?
5 years 2 months ago #34268

• Thank you received: 1
Jasem,

Have you tried getting 10x zoom, or only 5x zoom with your 600D? Which values of eoszoom you camera supports?
I'm asking this because it would be great to be able to be able to use the maximum zoom available (10x in this case) for focusing and close shots.

Thanks,
Andre
5 years 2 months ago #34382

Jasem,

magnification should be set to 1x in the pulldown menu whenever the window is (re-)opened. Currently the last used value is displayed in the pulldown menu when LiveView is activated.

The apply FPS button does close and re-open the window but a new target FPS rate is not applied to the stream.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 2 months ago #34387

600D only works with 5x as max.

I think I will see the dropdown menu to whatever value eoszoom is set to. that's more reliable.
5 years 2 months ago #34393

The stream always starts in 1x, regardless of what oeszoom is set to.
5 years 2 months ago #34402

Yeah I found that out today. Kstars updated. Libindi and gphoto were also updated to fix a crash
5 years 2 months ago #34404

Jasem,

I was testing the actions tab with my 700D and I could only make eoszoom to work if I switched off the viewfinder option. Don't know if it's expected, but, sometimes, when I switch off viewfinder the stream turns black (having to restart the streaming to get it back), and sometimes not.
Also, unfortunately, only 5x seems to work with this model.

PS: I'm running the bleeding version on RPi.

Thanks,
Andre
5 years 2 months ago #34587

Jasem,

Sorry writing again, but I was searching for ways of including binning with GPhoto2, and I found that this Micro Manager software for microscopy (based on ImageJ, for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X) does support 1x1, 2x2, 4x4, and 8x8 binning via Photo , unfortunately, I couldn't yet check out how it does, but here's its guide on how to build from source on Ubuntu .
I think binning may improve a lot the Live View fps, Capturing download time, and Alignment/Plate Solving response time when using DSLRs.

Thanks,
Andre
5 years 2 months ago #34664

Out of curiosity, is it possible to stream just a subframe, like the center 10% of the frame? Much like in guiding when just a certain area surrounding the guide star is shown? This should improve the FPS, too and could be very helpful in planetary imaging. Hmm, when I think about it.... in full frame I get ~25fps and in 5x magnification I get ~28fps. Shouldn't the difference be much higher?
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Alfred.
5 years 2 months ago #34665

There are several formats. For capture, it's FITS vs Native. How can you bin CR2? well, you'd say we convert them to bayer and send them as FITS, which is what we're doing right now. How do you properly bin a bayered image? For RGB, binning can be done easily. At any rate, if you found a good solution to offer binning that covers all the image formats supported by the driver, we'd greatly welcome any PRs!

You can subframe now, but that wouldn't increase FPS because we still receive the FULL frame from libghoto2, and then subframe it, and then send it over. So the FPS would be as is. DSLRs aren't designed with subframing in mind at all.
5 years 2 months ago #34668

I was checking Micro Manager, and they provide binning by capturing frames and Live View in monochrome, besides the camera not being set to use this Picture Style.
Using it's Continuous (Live) View, with my 700D and MacBook Pro, I managed to get 10 FPS @ 960 x 640 8-bit, and binning 2x2, 4x4, or 8x8 didn't affect FPS.

Even only available in BW, I think monochrome binning via GPhoto would be valuable for Plate Solving speed boosting, and also for auto guiding, since it improves the signal to noise ratio (SNR).
But, unfortunately, if not supported by the camera firmware, binning won't increase the frame rate of the Live View, nor decrease readout/download time.

The only other implementation I know that features 3x3 binning in color is "crop_rec on steroids" module for Magic Lantern , and the "Crop mode recording (crop_rec.mo)" module (also for Magic Lantern) that enables 3x zoom . Both modules seem to work only for SD video recording (raw/h.264), using "MLV Lite movie recording" module for Magic Lantern .

So, it would be possible to have 3x3 binning and 3x zoom by hardware, but it would require an specific Magic Lantern module for Livew View and still captures, and its support by GPhoto.
5 years 2 months ago #34689

Time to create page: 1.219 seconds