INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

DIY motorised roll-off observatory roof - what INDI driver?

• Thank you received: 17
I wrote a small python controller for my roll of roof (does open and close) and use 'dome scripting gateway' driver to connect it to indi. Works quite well!
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by S.
3 years 10 months ago #52164

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can you share more details on this? I'm trying to prepare a guide for users who want to add support for their roll-off roofs, so any examples I can refer to would be great.
3 years 6 months ago #58918

• Thank you received: 42
There is one at github.com/wotalota/indi-rolloffino.git.

It is a INDI rolloff roof driver and includes two examples of Arduino programs communicating over USB. The driver is packaged as a third party driver but haa not been included with the standard distribution. The Arduino code needs to be modified to match the motor control selected, the INDI driver should work once installed.

See readme.txt for a brief overview of the communication protocol and INSTALL for build directions. After the build there will be rolloffino as an option under Dome when you edit the EKos profile. The driver works with the Observatory module and weather drivers as you would expect. I am presently using it with the Vantage, WeatherMeta and WeatherProxy for a RG11 rain detector.

For my install I used a Arduino Due with an Aleko gate motor. The 3.3V Due along with pull ups made the wiring more complicated than need be for the relay but I liked the extra USB port while debugging. The attached image shows an attempt at a matching diagram for the Arduino code. The relay & external power supply shown is and approximation just the only image of one I found.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, colin rooney
3 years 6 months ago #58939
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 223
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
3 years 6 months ago #58941

Thanks all, the page is updated now: indilib.org/domes.html

Please let me know if we need to add anything else there to make this easy for new users.
3 years 6 months ago #58942

• Thank you received: 4
Hi universalmaster,
I'm trying to use Dome Dcripting Gateway driver to control my roll off roof.
I wrote a python script that use the on board Rpi Bluetoooth to send an open/close command to an ArduinoNano board connected to my motor controller. If I execute this script, is a Python 3 script by the way (to import and use Bluetooth library) in the console works fine, but when I tried to use the same script in "unpark.py" to execute via Dome Scripting Gateway it didn't work.
What I'm doing wrong? Any idea?
Thanks

Andres
3 years 6 months ago #59897

• Thank you received: 0
Hello
Please excuse my ignorance.
I have reached to your GITHub page for the package.
I have managed to upload the code to an Arduino Uno R3. Changed the code to suit inputs and outputs.
Could you please explain how I install the Indi driver on to Kstars/Ekos on a MacOS.
Which of the files are associated with the driver and how to I get them on my MacOS to get it to show up on Ekos?
Thanks
Krish
2 years 4 months ago #76990

• Thank you received: 42
Krish,
Which package are you trying? If it is the one I referenced it as only been used on linux machines that I know of. Being source files the instructions are for a linux build and install, patterned on what was seen in the third party drivers. Unfortunately I don't have experience MAC systems. It will require being familiar with MAC builds to get something that is able to be installed. Perhaps one of the script oriented packages might be more approachable?

Tom
Edit I ordered a basic mac, will see what is involved once KStars is installed.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by wotalota. Reason: status update
2 years 4 months ago #76999

I am open to try any of them. It is still in a trial period.
I will keep trying on my side.
You or someone else will probably find or show us the way before I do.
Thanks for your information.
2 years 4 months ago #77033

• Thank you received: 62
hi Andres,
I had to configure a roof with dome scripting gateway some weeks ago and ran in similar issues.
Did you set the folder containing the scripts as relative path? try to enter the full path.
And if you have any includes in the script itself, check the paths.
Check if it's not executed as a python2 script .

ferrante

PS: just saw that your post is more than one year old. Guess my suggestion came too late...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andres Rossi
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Ferrante Enriques.
2 years 4 months ago #77036

There is an Arduino Roof as a driver option available from any of the the Aux drop down selections.
Is this currently only for non Mac Kstars/Ekos use?
What hardware will this connect to when used?
Thanks
2 years 4 months ago #77106
Attachments:

2 years 4 months ago #77110

Time to create page: 0.864 seconds