INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[Solved] Guiding not working in latest version

• Thank you received: 133
I finally found the time to test the latest KStars/EKOS versions (currently git d39e3f3e9), to have a look at the new optical trains feature. Unfortunately, it seems I cannot guide with it.
I have two trains, primary and secondary, both with mount iEQ (CEM60EC), primary with my sharpstart, filter wheel 0 and the ASI2600, secondary with the Stowaway, wheel 1 and the ASI1600. For guiding I use secondary. I can take a frame, and even loop, and frames are taken and updated. But when I want to start guiding it takes a frame, marks the guide stars - and then nothing happens anymore. No new frames acquired.
I tried also putting the ASI1600 as 'guider' in the primary train, but that doesn't change the behavior.
Bug, or am I doing something wrong?
1 year 6 months ago #87019

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 566
Pit,
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression you don't understand what Jasem has intended with the trains.
With one "rig", e.g. with a mount, main telescope, imaging camera, guding telescope, guiding camera (and perhaps other accessories)
you would have two trains--one train for your primary imaging "train", and the 2nd train is your guiding imaging train.

Here is the train I have setup for myself (I use an ONAG, but imagine it's an OAG--similar thing):

- Both trains use the same mount. I think it will be that way for most setups.

- Since I'm using the same OTA for imaging and guiding (my ONAG splits the image like an OAG would), the my 10" RC is listed as the scope for both. If I had a guidescope, it would be in the Secondary's Scope/Lens field.

- I only have a focuser on my main imaging train (no guiding focuser--few people would/could automate that).

- I only have a filter wheel on my main imaging train. Again, few people would have that on their guiding train.

- I use two ASI1600s. 1 as the main camera (and it's name is "asi 1600-imager" (the zwo INDI driver now allows aliases) so it's in the primary train's Camera slot.

- The 2nd ASI1600 is aliases to "asi 1600-guider" and it's in the Camera slot for the secondary train.

- The only train that needs a "Guider" filled in is the secondary. The "Guider" is the device that receives the guiding pulses from Ekos, which is my mount.

- I have the capture, focus, mount and align tabs set to use the primary train, and the guiding tab set to use the secondary train.

Watch Jasem's video that he posted on the forum not too long ago...
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Peter Sütterlin
1 year 6 months ago #87024
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 133
Hello Hy,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
Yes, I did understand I need two trains, for main and for guiding. That is what I have set up. My post yesterday was a bit hectic, as I had clear sky and wanted to do something - sorry for that.

Looking at your setup however solved an issue that came up when I compared the new with the old setup, and didn't find the 'Via' setting in the new setup. That is what now is called 'guider', and I obviously have to enter the mount there. That part is a bit un-intuitive (IMO). With the old guide setup you had to enter something there. The trains are more general, so also no entry is possible, and the name change made it less obvious what should go there. Maybe renaming that list entry to 'guiding via' would be easier to understand (or give a bit more info in the tooltip)....

Apart from that, my setup follows what you wrote (and I'm one of those that have both a wheel and a focuser in the guider train :) ), except that I have another train for 'alignment' that is identical to the primary, but doesn't have the filter wheel in, so that it always uses the current filter for alignment. Else (almost) every alignment would trigger a focus run due to the filter change.
So I think I understand what is intended with the optical trains. Except for that 'guider' entry..... :-P
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Peter Sütterlin.
1 year 6 months ago #87027

Time to create page: 0.421 seconds