INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars remote saving path problem

• Thank you received: 1
Wow! I have not ever seen this, thank you for a tip!
For now, I think I will start with a regular cable, as the gum window sealings have certain tolerance, but definitelly it is not a long-term solution. Thinking about making an ethernet socket on the outer wall of the house eventually (dont tell my wife).

Best, Michal
1 year 3 months ago #89675

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
Tkakura,
www.elecom.co.jp/products/LD-VAPFSV05.html

Thanks for pointing that out, I was just pondering the same question. In my case I actually live in Japan (Nagano) so I'll be ordering one of these.

In case anyone is interested, if you do an internet search for "window flat LAN cable" you'll see many suggestions
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Paul.
1 year 3 months ago #89684

Dear Michal,
I don't want to be taking over this thread, just want to report my findings so others might learn.

A strange thing happened last night.

With the same setup, RPi with 1TB HDD, and remote control via Direct Ethernet, I started EKOS and created a new gear profile. In this case shooting a sequence, resulted in images being saved on the RPi HDD. Results were;;
My desired path name was "/media/stellarmate/data/Pictures", but due to the method used to append \Light as a folder name (which I believe is inconsistent with Linux syntax (?) ) the resulting storage folder was "/media/stellarmate/data/Pictures\Light". That final part "/Pictures\Light" does not indicate a subfolder, it creates a single folder with the full name of "Pictures\Light". Odd, but not a major problem and it proves that I have no problem writing to the disk.

HOWEVER, the weird part is that in this profile, I can ONLY save remotely now!! I mean that if I select either of the options including a remote save onto the Windows PC, the save setting just reverts back to Remote only at the beginning of the sequence.

I ran out of time, but I will test again tonight. Now I am typing this, I am wondering if the save path name becomes set in stone as part of the sequence. I.E. If you set up more than one sequence, you can predefine that sequence 1 is saved remote only, sequence 2 is set local only etc.

Maybe I just need to RTFM but up to now I couldn't find any detailed explanation. The fun of exploration, right!!
1 year 3 months ago #89686

The issue *should* be resolved for Windows but there are now build issues on Windows that we must resolve first.
1 year 3 months ago #89688

• Thank you received: 30
For remote connections, all data, including images, are transferred over the network, so usability depends on network speed.

The current INDI server does not have a "Save image to server" option, so you will have to save it on a remotely connected PC. (Because all data is transferred to the remote client when you connect remotely)

If you are connecting an astronomical device to the Raspberry Pi 4, add a USB3 SDD to the Raspberry Pi 4 and connect with KStars on the Raspberry Pi 4 → save to the USB3 SDD because it does not require a slow network connection. , is the fastest. (Operation is remote desktop such as VNC)

PS.
Even if you add the "Save images to server" option, all the data will be transferred to the remotely connected PC, so more functions are needed for comfortable operation. (A function to transfer images and streams as lightweight preview data when saving images and streams to the server, a function to proceed with work at the stage of saving to the server, etc.)

If 10Gbit Ethernet spreads, it will be possible to operate comfortably even with the current specifications.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by T-Studio.
1 year 3 months ago #89692

I did some more testing and finally resolved my main issue.
As a reminder, I have my scope being driven by a RPi4.
The Pi is booting off a 1TB HDD, I've created separate partitions for the OS and data on the disk.
The only reason I didn't use an SSD was I just had the HDD spare in a drawer.
Everything is driven by KStars running on a WIndows 10 PC, now connected to the Pi by Direct Ethernet.
Reason for going the direct cable way was initially because I was getting broken connection on wifi, even with the PC within 2-3 meters of the RPi.
However, the speed increase is so much improved that I will use this method for the future wherever possible.
I have already set up Samba and WSDD on the Pi so after a session, I can bring the Pi indoors, plug it into my network and copy all the images over the network to my editing PC.
EDIT - by the way, this video was key for understanding the Direct Ethernet setuo
www.facebook.com/stellarmate/videos/stel...net/782246335916948/

I have now managed to resolve the issue of remote / local saving of data, it was simply a matter of finally understanding how EKOS works. This excellent video by Jasem was a real help in final understanding.

The set of videos in that playlist are a little out of date, but still close enough to understand the principles, I just wish I'd found them earlier.

In answer to T-Studio above, I am now able to save all data only to the HDD on the RPi, as far as I can tell, now that remote saving is set correctly, no image data is coming over the network during a sequence. Only the preview data. This is with KStars running on the PC, not via VNC. I have tested functions through VNC, but I prefer the direct connection for my situation.

As a newcomer to this software since October, I have had more than my fair share of frustrations - unfortunately the documentation that I have been able to find is not matching with the capabilities of the software. If I could make one suggestion for this project it would be to update the documentation and ensure that it is easier to find.
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Paul.
1 year 3 months ago #89696

I will add it so that there is no misunderstanding.

When connecting to a remote server, all data is transferred to the connected client.

Only a light preview is transferred and there is no setting to process and store the actual data in the server.

The speed is slightly faster and the reason why it became usable is as follows.

・The network connection has been changed to wired.

・It is now possible to specify the directory of the Raspberry Pi server mounted on the client side using the SAMBA server.

You changed your network connection to wired so it's faster than wireless, but much slower than doing everything on the client on the server machine.

You can see a noticeable difference in speed when using AutoGuide with a client connection.

PS.

I live in Karuizawa, so if I can speak Japanese, I can explain in detail.

I also write about INDI on my blog.

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/
1 year 3 months ago #89699

T-Studio,
I'm a little confused by what you are saying here. Sorry if I am being dumb, I have questions, please let me know where I may be wrongly understanding.

When you say, "When connecting to a remote server all data is transferred to the connected client".
Of course I understand that there is communication data being transferred to and from my Windows PC (the client), however when I correctly set up the EKOS capture settings for remote image storage (on the RPi's HDD) and shoot a sequence, I don't see how or why any image data would be transferred to my Windows PC. There is a transfer of image data when I shoot a preview shot, but the actual image sequence data is not being transferred.

I'll go back and double check that point using both cable and hotspot connection and report my findings.

When you say, "Only a light preview is transferred and there is no setting to process and store the actual data in the server."
Sorry, I don't follow this. The server in this context is my RPi, correct? If I set EKOS capture to "remote" only then I am storing data on its HDD. I don't intend to process it on the RPi, just storage during a session.

When you say, "It is now possible to specify the directory of the Raspberry Pi server mounted on the client side using the SAMBA server."
Again, my knowledge level here is not high, but I don't see how the installation of Samba on my RPi has any impact on the functioning of EKOS. I only installed Samba so that the RPi can be visible as part of my Windows Workgroup network at times when it is connected to my home network. After a session, I physically take my RPi and its HDD to my desk, connect a monitor and keyboard, log into my home network, then I can browse the RPi's HDD and transfer all session images to my editing PC. It's also when I'll install updates on the RPi.

During a shooting session, the RPi is set up as the Stellarmate hotspot - it has no connection to my Windows network regardless of whether I am connected by wifi or direct cable. (please correct me if I am wrong)

When you say, "You changed your network connection to wired so it's faster than wireless, but much slower than doing everything on the client on the server machine"
Sorry, I don't follow your meaning. Yes, of course direct Ethernet is faster than connecting via the RPi's hotspot, but this is not touching my home network. As for speed difference, if I use VNC or remote access from my Windows PC via the RPi hotspot, I have not yet seen any measurable difference.

I haven't yet had the opportunity to test autoguide speed, now I have a more stable connection and when I get a clear night, I'll test it. The guide scope image data is not so heavy being relatively low resolution and monochrome so I am not sure how much delay will be caused. Again, this is something I can test.

Apologies for all the questions - I have been thoroughly confused by the set up and functioning of EKOS, and even more confused by the Stellarmate Android app, but that's a different discussion.
1 year 3 months ago #89700

Mr.Poul
Think simple.

INDI is a driver that connects astronomical instruments and PCs, but it does not connect directly to applications, but uses TCP-IP for server/client connections.

If you prepare a client on the PC where the server is installed, everything will be done by internal processing.

When connected remotely, the data specified by the client PC is transferred at the speed of the network connection.

If you mount the SAMBA server on your client machine, you can use the network drive on the remote PC to save.

●the signal flow

Astronomical equipment -> INDI server/driver -> memory of remote PC -> samba server.

Images are read into memory from the INDI server driver via a TCP-IP connection to a remote PC and saved to a SAMBA server via TCP-IP connection.

It feels like double work, but the loss of processing time is small because it is saved in the samba server after being read into the memory of the remote PC.

It is the client connected to the driver that issues the save instruction.
1 year 3 months ago #89703

• Thank you received: 25
T-Studioさんこんにちは。日本の方ですよね?(ちょっと時間がないので日本語で失礼します)

わたしもT-Studioさんと同様に考えてPoulに説明しました。
ところが、検証をしてみるとKstarsをインストールしたWindows端末からラズパイへの CreateFile APIが呼び出されずに、ラズパイにremote保存されるのですよ。
Windows側に保存するよりも一画像当たり1秒程度短い時間でremote保存できていました。

確認方法としては、Sysinternals の procmon(lsofみたいなことができる)を使って、Local保存とRemote保存の動作を確認しています。

この動作からはクライアントのKStarsまで画像データを送信せずに、indiserver 自身に画像保存機能があるように見えました。
indiserverにそのような機能があるのですか?
※このスレッドの初めのほうにこの件は記載があります。
---
Hello T-Studio.

I thought the same as T-Studio and explained it to Poul.
However, when I verified that the CreateFile API is not called by KStars and its child processes when a remote save is made from a Windows terminal with Kstars installed to Raspi.

It took about 1 second less per image to REMOTE save than saving on the Windows side.

As a way to check, I used Sysinternals' procmon (which can do something like lsof) to check the behavior of local and remote saving.

From this behavior, it appeared that the indiserver itself has an image saving function without sending image data to the client's KStars.
Does indiserver have such a function?
*This is mentioned earlier in this thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michal
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by tkakura.
1 year 3 months ago #89704

Mr. TKAKURA

Hi, perhaps if you connect remotely, directly to Windows, via a Samba server, which may vary slightly in speed, but it will be sent from the remotely connected PC anyway.

I hesitate to communicate in Japanese on this forum, so please visit my blog and leave your comments.

tstudioastronomy.blog.fc2.com/

PS.
There is no option to save directly to the server.

Previously, I requested a function of Ekos that automatically resizes and transfers images for processing such as PlateSolving, autofocus, and preview, but it has not been implemented.
1 year 3 months ago #89706

• Thank you received: 25
Hi T-Studio
Can you give me a direct URL to the forum?
I could not find the location of the forum from the given page.
1 year 3 months ago #89707

Time to create page: 0.832 seconds