INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

First night out with KSTARS/EKOS

• Thank you received: 182

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have not tried yet controlling the mount remotely through Indi with the Pi3 being merely a relay server. I use my Pi3 to fully control the telescope, cameras and focuser through VNC. You are right, it can be laggy sometimes, but if you are using a preset sequence on the scheduler, that is not much of a concern. I prefer to do that, since I cannot afford to give up too much sleep, I need to function the next day. Also, a good WiFi signal takes care of much of the lagginess.

I found that the Pi3 can handle everything quite well autonomously for an entire night (provided no clouds are rolling in). Plate solving is a bit slow, but not much of a concern if you are imaging only one or two targets a night.

A huge advantage for me of controlling the Pi3 via VNC is that I can do that from my iPhone without even have to get out from under my covers. So, I can simply check quickly on progress of image acquisition with the least amount of pain and go right back to sleep.
I prefer to use the internal guider, since it gives me the least problem with automated meridian flips and reacquisition.
Also, the ASI120MM-S works very well and reliably now with the internal guider that the driver has been revised.

And, as you point out, the low power consumption becomes important when operating at a remote site. I use a battery powered WiFi hotspot for that and usually when you are camping there are no other WiFi emitters around, so transfer speeds are quite zippy.

CS, Jo
5 years 11 months ago #24583

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 809
Jo,

That is the real power of the platform of KStars and INDI, flexibility to use it as you want to, remotely or locally, on Mac Linux or PC, on the same computer, different computer, or over wireless or lan, rather than being limited to just one setup or usage paradigm.

have fun!

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jose Corazon
5 years 11 months ago #24593

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.299 seconds