INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

scheduler: does not align correctly after restart or flip

• Thank you received: 94
H everyone
I lost over 400 pixels of a dslr frame due to wrong alignment. Could anyone help me in avoiding this?
TIA and clear skies.
Steve
logs: drive.google.com/open?id=1czFyxN_YhNAfb2Y5jiQ-ncUDz0IjOrk9
5 years 6 months ago #30115
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

What time was the meridian flip? can't find it in the logs.
5 years 6 months ago #30118

Hi. Kstars crashed between the first and second logs. The telescope was already on the flip side at the start of the second log. I'm restarted the scheduler after the reboot which produced the misalignment.
TIA
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by alacant.
5 years 6 months ago #30119

Looks like the alignment did its job.

First log:
[2018-10-05T23:49:34.632 CEST DEBG ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - Initial hour angle: 0.436099
[2018-10-05T23:49:34.632 CEST DEBG ][   org.kde.kstars.ekos.capture] - Initial mount coordinates RA: "22h 19m 32s" DE: " 56° 13' 49\""

Second log:
[2018-10-05T23:45:09.266 CEST INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.align] - "Solution coordinates: RA (22h 19m 34s) DEC ( 56° 13' 57\") Telescope Coordinates: RA (22h 19m 33s) DEC ( 56° 13' 49\")"

But did you capture any images the 2nd log? it looks like there was a problem with PHD2:
[2018-10-05T23:42:00.300 CEST INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - "Connecting to PHD2 Host: localhost, on port 4400. . ."
[2018-10-05T23:42:00.322 CEST INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - "The connection was refused by the peer. Make sure the PHD2 is running, and check that the host name and port settings are correct."
[2018-10-05T23:45:11.153 CEST INFO ][     org.kde.kstars.ekos.guide] - "PHD2 Error: Equipment not connected."
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 6 months ago #30136

Thanks for taking a look. So the 400px error was due to phd2?
Is there a way to get the scheduler to re-align after there has been a guiding error?
TIA
5 years 6 months ago #30140

PHD2 refused connection.. this is why I was wondering if you were to capture anything in the second go. Unless it was captured without guiding...
5 years 6 months ago #30142

Hi. Yes. I got 39x5minute frames. I started PHD2 before the scheduler so that maybe why it could not connect.

I'm more concerned about how I can prevent such large chunks of image having to be cropped. I've a feeling I'm a setting missing somewhere.
Cheers
5 years 6 months ago #30145

• Thank you received: 301
Agreed, when Ekos is started before PHD2, the guide module remains unconnected. I tried to work around this by starting PHD2 in an observatory startup script, but this is not very robust. When requested to guide, the guide module should validate the connection and if incorrect should attempt to connect to PHD2 multiple times before returning an error. There are a few other small issues in that state machine I think.

-Eric

EDIT: didn't want to shade your original problem, which is the alignment offset after flipping, of course. I'm interested to know what you did to get PHD2 to continue guiding after that flip.
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by Eric.
5 years 6 months ago #30146

Hi. PHD2 doesn't need to be connected to ekos to be able to guide. Use it as you would if you were not using the scheduler.
Cheers,
5 years 6 months ago #30147

This is only valid when you have your target visible when starting the session. I use the Scheduler to plan observations (well, a single one for now) that are a few hours away.

-Eric
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teseo
5 years 6 months ago #30157

Hi, You asked how I started PHD2 after the flip. You can start PHD2 whenever you like. Before, after, during... If you want your target visible, align it first or slew to if after aligning to a star. I think we must be talking about different things!
Cheers
Last edit: 5 years 6 months ago by alacant.
5 years 6 months ago #30158

Sorry, indeed my reply wasn't proper. Apologies for my lack of focus.
You mentioned you started PHD2 before Ekos, thus that was the reason it wouldn't connect, and I misinterpreted this as the opposite. If PHD2 is started after Ekos is started, Ekos will not connect by itself. Hence I was interested on how you had PHD2 stop guiding while Ekos was doing the meridian flip.
You are probably managing the flip manually? Because if PHD2's guiding is not stopped during that procedure, PHD2 will certainly continue to send corrections that are not taken into account by the mount model, and as such may cause an offset in the end. There is an option in PHD2 that may relate, suspend guiding while slewing, but I wasn't able to use it properly in my setup.

-Eric
5 years 6 months ago #30160

Time to create page: 0.311 seconds