INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

KStars v3.1.0 is released

• Thank you received: 66

Replied by Greg on topic KStars v3.1.0 is released

I know this is from the last release but since you're talking astrometry problems, it would not work when I tried 3.0.0 last Friday on a Mac. Attached is the log if it helps. I'll probably try 3.1.0 this week.

File Attachment:

File Name: log_18-24-06.txt
File Size:2,073 KB
Last edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Greg.
5 years 1 month ago #35902
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

There is the XPlanet Solar System Simulator which you can see all the moons, but nothing on the Skymap. I will see maybe we can have a Google Summer of Code project for this.. or if we get new developers that want to work on it. Currently, we don't have anyone with time that can work on it.
5 years 1 month ago #35904

• Thank you received: 812

I took a quick look in your log. There is a space in your file path. "KStars 3.0.0" Astrometry.net chokes on spaces in the filename because it largely works from the command line. You cannot have a space in your path to astrometry if you want to use astrometry.net. I put that into the instructions on the DMG.
5 years 1 month ago #35915

But it has not been a problem until now. The same path is used in version 2.9.7 and previous releases without a problem. I think that path was selected by Kstars a long time ago when I first installed it and has been working ever since. So are you saying that going forward the path will have to change?
5 years 1 month ago #35930

No, that is a guess as to what might be wrong. In the past, I have observed that a space in the path to astrometry can cause it to fail. It is something to test to see if that fixes the problem. Any time there is an issue, you should test all possible things to find the cause. That is one possibility. Even if it worked before, taking out all spaces Is a thing that should be tested.

3.1.0 for Mac was built completely differently than previous versions of KStars. We developed a build script over the course of a couple of years that was working pretty well up through 2.9.7. But then in January, QT made a change that broke the script to the point it will no longer work. I think some serious issues we had with 3.0.0 were symptoms of the bugs that QT was trying to address, but in the process their change also broke our build system. So I worked very hard in January to develop a new script based entirely in craft (which was a more long term goal anyway) so that we could get building KStars for Mac again.

Please test 3.1.0 instead of 3.0.0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ez W
5 years 1 month ago #35933

Ok. Sounds good. Sorry I wasn't able to help test 3.0.0 but I'll do so with 3.1.0. Forgive me for my ignorance but what is QT and "craft"? I've seen you mention them but haven't figured it out.
5 years 1 month ago #35935

QT is the cross platform C++ framework on which KStars and many other KDE apps are built upon. www.qt.io

Craft is a build system developed by KDE to build their software for Windows and Mac computers. community.kde.org/Craft

My build script is here: github.com/rlancaste/kstars-on-osx-craft

Thanks,

Rob
The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg
5 years 1 month ago #35936

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds