INDI Library v2.0.6 is Released (02 Feb 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry

• Thank you received: 0
I have a U-blox7 USB GPS. I have successfully used it on StellarMate on an Rpi3 using GPSD. It just worked out of the box. Now I am trying to use it on Astroberry Server 2.0 on a Pi4. Ekos says the device is connected, but NO FIX. The light on the dongle is blinking green, indicating that is has determined its position.

I tried playing with the GPSD configuration file in /etc/default/ to change the DEVICE = to “/dev/ttyUSB0” as suggested in another thread, but I get a permissions error when trying to save the changes to the file.

So I am stuck.

Hope someone here has had success they can pass along. Thanks.
4 years 1 month ago #48847

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3
Edit the file as super user (root) with "sudo" :-)
4 years 1 month ago #48856

• Thank you received: 375
You don't need to edit /etc/default/gpsd for USB devices as they handle hotplug mode.
Any details? That version of Astroberry? Where do you get NOFIX?
4 years 1 month ago #48858

• Thank you received: 3
That's right. GPSD autodetects USB connected GPS automatically and adjusts to its parameters, without any configuration. However, I had a problem with a Prolific PL2303 USB-to -serial adapter - it always stopped working with GPSB after some 8-15 seconds of successful communication. Still don't know if it is a specific problem of the combination of GPSd and PL drivers or whether my PL adapter is just defect, but it seems to work well under other circumstances, e.g. when just dumping the serial messages to the console.
4 years 1 month ago #48859

I was just working with the Astroberry, taking a screen shot to show you the NO FIX in the INDI Control Panel. The GPS dongle was blinking green, and Control Panel/Main Control of GPSD showed NO FIX.

Just for kicks, I hit the Disconnect button and then the Connect button and the info updated to reflect my current position, time and a 2D fix, next to my office window.

Thanks everybody.

Tim
4 years 1 month ago #48995

I am having the same issue with a Uputronics Raspberry Pi GPS/RTC Expansion Board and a RPi 4B running latest Astroberry (updated today). GPSD works perfectly on the RPi (as shown on gpsmon) with current time and position, but on Ekos, GPSD, while connecting, shows the message "gps fix in progress" but never gives the fix. The serial connection is ttyS0. I've spent the last 3 days reading everything I can on this issue, and this is the closest that I've come to what may be the problem, but, whenever I try to modify the config file at /etc/default/gpsd, I'm denied permission, including when I use "sudo." Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

Here's the log from GPSD on Ekos:
2020-12-25T01:13:16: [INFO] Device configuration applied.
2020-12-25T01:13:16: [INFO] GPS Update Timer enabled.
2020-12-25T01:13:16: [INFO] Loading device configuration...
2020-12-25T01:13:14: [INFO] GPS fix is in progress...
Last edit: 3 years 2 months ago by Jon_G.
3 years 2 months ago #64956

• Thank you received: 8
I was creating a new Arch Linux based build for my own personal RPi. Found that GPSD would get a fix but Ekos wouldn't. For me I was lucky to have a spare microSD card to go back to my Astroberry build an the GPSD and Ekos worked within seconds. Turns out that there was a breaking change in GPSD v3.22 that would mean the libindi-gpsd would never see the fix happen.

I'm not sure if this was your issue but check what version of GPSD is installed on your machine and if its is v3.22 then I would suggest to downgrade to 3.21 or earlier, otherwise try a nightly build of indi as my fix has been accepted into the main repo.
3 years 1 month ago #67336

• Thank you received: 2
Hi 
I am having the same issue with the Pi4. Everything worked fine on the Pi3. But now I am having issues when I added my ZWO ais120 guide cam the gps stops working. I tried the edit of the /etc/default/gpsd change it to the GPS device name I have tried both gps0 and ttyACM0.
2 years 3 months ago #77980

• Thank you received: 107

Replied by nou on topic USB GPS NO FIX Rpi4 Astroberry

I had similiar issue with my GPS. Turn out that USB3 is source of interference and it could not get FIX. Disconnecting everything from USB3 solved my problems.

Also run "cgps" program. If it output something and list some satelites it means it can communicate with dongle and it is issue with signal or interference.
2 years 3 months ago #77981

• Thank you received: 2
Hi by USB3 do you mean USB 3.0 the blue plugs in the Pi4? 

Doing both cgps and gpsmon when the gps dongle is only connected works fine it all stops working once I add the ZWO camera which is a USB 3.0 blue connection(tired both pulgs as well still crashed the gps). I will try connecting everything on the a USB2.0 with a hub and see if that helps 

EDIT
It works. So running gps u-blox 7 on Pi4 it will conflict with the USB3.0. So connecting everything on the USB2.0 was the fix now all the devices are working thanks for you suggestion. 
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Oliver Montoya.
2 years 3 months ago #77982

Hi,
I have associated the issue with Electromagnetic Incompatibility of USB3 with GPS feature.
There is an Intel Paper on the subject : www.usb.org/document-library/usb-30-radi...ghz-wireless-devices

There is also some forums on sailors having issues on the subject : forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3062

Yet I have not experimented the proposed solutions but I imagine that they may solve the subject.

Note that putting the USB3 camera on USB2 leads to solving the issue because USB3 frequencies are not used any more.
2 years 5 days ago #81394

Time to create page: 3.503 seconds