INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

[SOLVED] Kstars keeps crashing

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by ouioui01 on topic Kstars keeps crashing

It seems that Jasem's patch works for me after compiling kstars. no more crashing...
I'm using RPI4 8G with ubuntu 20.04.1 x64

Cheers
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by ouioui01.
3 years 7 months ago #59019
The topic has been locked.
  • Thank you received: 19

Replied by JAMIE FLINN on topic Kstars keeps crashing

will this patch be built into nightly?....I am running stellarmate and do not have a dev environment installed
3 years 7 months ago #59020
  • Thank you received: 0
I kept on chugging through this issue.
  • Complete uninstall of KStars and INDI, re-installed.
  • Cleaned out the .indi and .local/share/kstars folders
  • Downloaded KStars from Github
  • Recompiled

At this point, application was broken like it was. Then I applied the patch. Still broken, but with new error around the Status LED.

Thinking that the problem was related to threading, I extended the Blocking Queue and Queued Connections to the individual components. This appears to have worked.
 # In the indilistener.cpp
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDIDevice, this, &INDIListener::processDevice, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDIProperty, this, &INDIListener::registerProperty, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::removeINDIDevice, this, &INDIListener::removeDevice, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::removeINDIProperty, this, &INDIListener::removeProperty, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDISwitch, this, &INDIListener::processSwitch, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDIText, this, &INDIListener::processText, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDINumber, this, &INDIListener::processNumber, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDILight, this, &INDIListener::processLight, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDIBLOB, this, &INDIListener::processBLOB, Qt::BlockingQueuedConnection);

#in the guimanager.cpp
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDISwitch, gdm, &INDI_D::updateSwitchGUI, Qt::QueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDIText, gdm, &INDI_D::updateTextGUI, Qt::QueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDINumber, gdm, &INDI_D::updateNumberGUI, Qt::QueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDILight, gdm, &INDI_D::updateLightGUI, Qt::QueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDIBLOB, gdm, &INDI_D::updateBLOBGUI, Qt::QueuedConnection);
    connect(cm, &ClientManager::newINDIMessage, gdm, &INDI_D::updateMessageLog, Qt::QueuedConnection);

3 years 7 months ago #59026

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Kstars keeps crashing

That would result in a deadlock. I now have a working solution that I'm just testing through all scenarios... just waiting for Gilles to confirm it's working well on his system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gilles Gagnon
3 years 7 months ago #59027
Thanks, didn't know if any of the info was helping. Here's for hoping the fix is near!
3 years 7 months ago #59028
  • Thank you received: 54

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic Kstars keeps crashing

Preliminary tests (not thorough but connects/disconnects, GOTOs, few shutdown and restart INDI/EKOS/KStars) and I haven't had a crash. I will try to test as much as I can and provide more feedback.

This is looking very good. Thanks for all the efforts.
3 years 7 months ago #59029
  • Thank you received: 54

Replied by Gilles Gagnon on topic Kstars keeps crashing

Everything still working fine after system shutdown/reboot.

I would love to go test under the stars tonight but, like when getting new astronomical equipment, debugging astronomical software seems to bring the clouds! LOL but :(
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Gilles Gagnon.
3 years 7 months ago #59032
If you all want another tester, hit me up, I can easily reproduce locally. I am running on an x64 Ubuntu 18.04 system.

Cloudy here as well, so not doing much but preparing for a clear night.
3 years 7 months ago #59033

Same here - I can test and blow stuff up if I have a fairly easy way to install - running SM OS on PI4 with no dev environment - so basic install from PPA
3 years 7 months ago #59044

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic Kstars keeps crashing

PPA builds are now running and StellarMate update is coming as well in 1-2 hours.
Last edit: 3 years 7 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
3 years 7 months ago #59045

Great - I'll hammer at it as soon as it loads :-)
3 years 7 months ago #59046
Works now, thank you. I rebuilt from source, ran from the build directory, all worked fine. I could create a new configuration, configure all devices and save the changes. I could then relaunch that app, and it still worked (with changes). I rebooted the laptop where it runs, reconnected the devices and they all came up like they should.

I also did a "clean" and "install" and that worked as well.

Thanks, it doesn't look like a really easy fix, the nuance of the Blocking vs. Non-Blocking couldn't have been an easy one to figure out.
3 years 7 months ago #59053
Time to create page: 1.145 seconds