INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

CCD camera cooling procedure

• Thank you received: 12
Hello, I attended this weekend at a star party where I presented the software KStars and especially EKOS. People were quite enthusiastic, impressed with all the features integrated into the software and the variety of hardwares supported by INDI. Most of them are astro-photographers who use softwares under Windows.
However, they have a concern: Is it possible to program the cooling of a CCD camera level by level ? Not having cooled camera, I could not answer them. They explained the importance of the bearings (approximately every 5 degrees) to avoid damaging the camera. The absence of this adjustment would be redhibitory for them to adopt kstars / Ekos.
P.S. In less than a month, I participate in another star-party where I will reintroduce KStars, Ekos, Indi ... ;)
8 years 3 weeks ago #7674

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cooling is controlled by the respective CCD driver, not Ekos. I'm not sure how this is a concern, it's new to me.
8 years 3 weeks ago #7676

• Thank you received: 12
Does this mean that the adjustment must be made by each INDI driver ?

I found indeed on the French astro forum Webastro different views:
It seems however that the first point of view is quite common according to the feedback I've had this weekend.

I also came across this page about c2a software incorporating the setting of temperature levels.

Now I do not know if this precaution is necessary or not. I have only discovered during the weekend! ;) Does this question has been asked elsewhere or is it yet another quirk of us, the French frog eaters? :silly:
8 years 3 weeks ago #7678

Well, I haven't seen any camera SDK before that let you decide the rate of cooling. You just set the temperature and the firmware in the camera does the rest. You have no active control on how fast the peltier cooler operate.

EDIT: Ok, I see now. Ekos sets the temperature "stages" for the camera depending on user input. It is possible to implement but I don't know if it is really necessary.
Last edit: 8 years 3 weeks ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
8 years 3 weeks ago #7679

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds