INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Image Overlays

• Thank you received: 566

Replied by Hy Murveit on topic Image Overlays

BTW, I'm trying out an interesting use case for this the next time my skies are clear.

I haven't done any mosaics yet, so I thought I'd try one, however, it is tricky to frame this mosaic, as my object (the Burst Bubble nebula) really doesn't show up much in the HiPS overlays or on the SkyMap.
So, I took a screenshot of a nice version of the Burst Bubble nebula from astrobin, and added that, temporarily, as an image overlay on my system--it plate-solved well. I then ran the mosaic planner tool, and now I clearly see the nebula and can frame it the way I want.
Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred, Peter Sütterlin, Juergen_from_Bavaria
8 months 1 week ago #94928
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7

Replied by Ettore on topic Image Overlays

Wow, i try tomorrow.
Ettore
8 months 1 week ago #94932

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Image Overlays

It's immediately clear this is an extremely useful feature. Thanks a lot, Hy!
8 months 1 week ago #94934

• Thank you received: 133

Replied by Peter Sütterlin on topic Image Overlays

Absolutely cool feature Hy!

One suggestion would be a toolbar button to easily switch the overlay on and off.
8 months 1 week ago #94974

• Thank you received: 86

Replied by maxthebuilder on topic Image Overlays

I tried - it worked beautifully!
In fact, I was thinking about this just a few days ago - it would be nice to overlay my images over KStars...
And here we go - it's available, thanks to Hy.
This is really helpful for framing/mosaics.

Thanks!
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
Last edit: 8 months 6 days ago by maxthebuilder.
8 months 6 days ago #94978

Peter: I put in a change to add a menu option in the View menu to toggle on/off image overlays. That comes with a keyboard shortcut, shift-control-o, so that should make it very easy to enable/disable it.
invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/978

All: FWIW, I also fixed a bug yesterday, so anyone testing should probably upgrade to the latest version.
invent.kde.org/education/kstars/-/merge_requests/977

Hy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Sütterlin
8 months 6 days ago #94981

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Image Overlays

Cool feature to use instead of DSS overlay. It would be a nice feature if it could open files and autostretch them as there is better chance of platesolving such images. Also does it support FITS files and if so can it make use of the metadata?
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
Last edit: 8 months 6 days ago by AstroMuni.
8 months 6 days ago #95002

• Thank you received: 161

Replied by Alfred on topic Image Overlays

I tested with one picture (attached) in the overlay folder. No FITS info was provided so it ran a "blind solve". After 30s it timed out. Unfortunately the process only terminated on one core with 12 or so cores remaining 100% busy. I had to terminate the process manually.

I had success on other images with the "singlethreadsolving" option activated. Some imaged solved OK, others timed out but when that happened, the single process was terminated correctly.
8 months 6 days ago #95015
Attachments:

Alfred,

Thanks for testing. FWIW, I just tried your image.

With the default blind solve, I also timed out after 30s -- though all processes ended (I used the Default profile which should have multiple threads solving). I don't know why the processes weren't terminated after timeout. That was a bug that was in the previous release, but should be fixed if you're testing image overlays. Perhaps it would have terminated after a little longer wait? I don't know the internals of the Qt threading abort mechanism.

I then manually entered the rough coordinates for NGC 7000 in the table for your image: RA=21h, DEC=44 30, and it solved for me in ~10s, again using the default profile.
Solver success in 9.7s: RA 314.55 DEC 44.52 Scale 11.29 Angle 151.15
See image below.

Note, it never gets any header info from the image file--I'm assuming that users will be putting "finished images" into the overlays which as far as I know won't have this kind of info--so it will always blind solve unless you enter the RA and DEC into the table, and/or put a scale in the table or in the "Default a-s/px" box. I do recommend you put a default scale in, and manually add coordinates for any images you have trouble solving.

Hy

8 months 6 days ago #95017
Attachments:

@astromuni It doesn't stretch, I envision people using finished images, which would be already stretched. What use case are you talking about?

It uses QImage doc.qt.io/qt-6/qimage.html to read the image files, so it would support whatever formats that supports. I'd say .jpg is your best bet.
8 months 6 days ago #95018

• Thank you received: 86

Replied by maxthebuilder on topic Image Overlays

I overlaid a bunch of stuff.
From 950mm to 135mm.
All solved fine but I did enter coordinates for each and used 2-SingleThread.
My large 3x3 Sadr mosaic didn't solve so I had to overlay each panel separately.

Really like this new feature : )

-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
8 months 5 days ago #95041
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic Image Overlays

In my experience the final images dont work too well when you attempt to platesolve; especially ones that have been compressed using a lossy algorithm like jpg. Hence was thinking that users could upload pre-stretched images and apply an autostretch (I know it may not be as pretty).
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
8 months 5 days ago #95053

Time to create page: 2.293 seconds