INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Skywatcher HEQ5 connecting Kstar - Macbook pro

• Thank you received: 4
Hi,
I bought a Skywatcher EVOSTAR 80/600 telescope with a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount at the end of last year.
I have search a long time for software for Astrophotography and because I use an apple Macbook, I came out to Kstars.
Hope Kstars is the right choice, but I still have some questions that I do not find directly via the internet (macbook user)
Which cable do you use for a Macbook connecting to HEQ5 mount ?
I have found some cables, but I'm not sure if they work.
Baader RS 232/RJ11 Cable 3.5M for Celestron
Baader USB/RS 232 with Converter Cable

If these cables are the right ones than - how do I configure Kstars?
If not the right cables - which cable is than the correct one.
Is there a youtube video of "setup Kstars for HEQ5 mount ?"

ps: sorry for my bad english, but it is not my mother language :blush:
Skywatcher Apo 80/600 EvoStar ED - Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo - ZWO ASI294MC Pro - ( Nikon D500)
5 years 2 months ago #34788

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 812
I hope it is the right choice for you. We have volunteered a lot of time to make it a good system for folks like you and me.

My recommendation would be to use a cable like this one: www.store.shoestringastronomy.com/products_eq.htm

Then you will want to take out the hand paddle when you want to connect to your mount, plug in this cable, and connect using the INDI EQMod driver.

Thanks,

Rob
5 years 2 months ago #34800

Ok, you mean this cable Ikarus Technologies Mount USB Cable (EQDir HEQ5,EQ3,EQ8,EQ5) the synscan cable is removed from the mount and the new cable is plugged..
If I understand correctly, I have to install this plug-in INDI EQMod driver or it is already installed as standard in Kstars ...
Have found a youtube video of Ekos Alignment Module
Skywatcher Apo 80/600 EvoStar ED - Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo - ZWO ASI294MC Pro - ( Nikon D500)
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Jan.
5 years 2 months ago #34802

The INDI EQMod driver along with all the INDI drivers comes bundled in KStars on Mac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jan
5 years 2 months ago #34803

Yes that cable should work. Even better, it says Ikarus Tech, so Jasem is selling this I think. He can certainly steer you right if there are any issues.
5 years 2 months ago #34804

• Thank you received: 420
I have an HEQ5 mount and I use this cable

www.pierro-astro.com/materiel-astronomiq...-orion-sirius_detail

with KStars both from Mac and Linux and it works like a charm. Those cables are sold via other resellers as well (for instance Teleskop Express in Germany) so you may want to search for a local reseller if you are not in Europe.
5 years 2 months ago #34805

• Thank you received: 226
You have options available, but quality matters, especially when it's very cold. I've used home made cables, home made Bluetooth adapter modules and this cable www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mou...-and-eq8-mounts.html

FTDI based chipset is solid and more reliable than Chinese knockoffs.
5 years 2 months ago #34807

OK this cable I have - although it is mentioned that it would only work under windows (and thought this was a bad buy) Go try this soon, if I succeed to install ERmod plug-in.
5 years 2 months ago #34830

I have used this cable now “USB DIRECT INTERFACE HEQ5 FOR AZ-EQ6, AZ-EQ5, EQ6-R EQ8, HEQ5, NEQ5, NEQ3”.
my macbook does not find this usb cable - if I look at the terminal and type “Diskutil list” then I see it not listed at the EQmod Mount via Kstars.
I see at ports only “/dev/cu.Bluetooth-incoming-port”- scan ports does not deliver anything author ports.
But without this cable I succeeded via WiFi "Skywatcher-SynScan-Wifi" - see image

I think it's only weird that it does not work with this cable. - I have start Indigo server first before I open Kstars.
What am I doing wrong that I only see 1 port “/dev/cu.Bluetooth-incoming-port" ?

5 years 2 months ago #34846

Diskutil list should list any hard drives, I think the command you want is this one:

system_profiler SPUSBDataType
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Rob Lancaster.
5 years 2 months ago #34851

thanks for the info :blush:

EDIT: when I type this into the Terminal "system_profiler SPUSBDataType" than I see this USB connection.

Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Jan.
5 years 2 months ago #34854
Attachments:

If you don't see ports detected, but from my very limited experience on MacOS, you probably need to download FTDI MacOS drivers. Probably won't hurt to do so if you can't see your serial port by the system.
5 years 2 months ago #34866

Time to create page: 0.346 seconds