INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Skywatcher HEQ5 connecting Kstar - Macbook pro

• Thank you received: 4
Hi, I bought a Skywatcher EVOSTAR 80/600 telescope with a Skywatcher HEQ5 mount at the end of last year.
I have search for a long time for software Astrophotography and because I use an apple Macbook, I came out to Kstars.
Hope Kstars is the right choice, but I have still some questions that I do not find directly via the internet (macbook user)
Which cable do you use for a Macbook to connect to HEQ5 mount ?

Have found some cables, but I'm not sure if they work.
Baader RS 232/RJ11 Cable 3.5M for Celestron
Baader USB/RS 232 with Converter Cable

If these cables are the right ones, how do I configure Kstars?
If not the right cables - which cable than...
Is there a youtube video of "setup Kstars for HEQ5 mount"

ps: sorry for my bad english, but it is not my mother language :blush:
Skywatcher Apo 80/600 EvoStar ED - Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo - ZWO ASI294MC Pro - ( Nikon D500)
5 years 2 months ago #34790

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hello Jantje and welcome to INDI forums.

For HEQ5, please use this HEQ5 certified USB cable which is proven to work with INDI & Ekos. You then use EQMod driver from KStars and you should be good to go!

We make this cable. However, you can use any EQDirect cable of your choice.
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Jasem Mutlaq.
5 years 2 months ago #34966

the cable that you recommend is for Celestron or am I wrong .. - Ikarus Technologies Mount USB Cable (Celestron)
I was thinking about this cable earlier. - Ikarus Technologies Mount USB Cable (EQDir HEQ5,EQ3,EQ8,EQ5)

I just wanted to order, but now I wait for an answer to my question before I order
Skywatcher Apo 80/600 EvoStar ED - Skywatcher HEQ-5 Pro SynScan GoTo - ZWO ASI294MC Pro - ( Nikon D500)
5 years 2 months ago #34967

yes sorry, I correct the link above. Should be the HEQ5 one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jan
5 years 2 months ago #34969

Thank you for your help.
I order it right now.
5 years 2 months ago #34970

First of all I want to say that the USB cable that "knro" advised me now works perfectly on my MacBook. (thank you)
USB cable: Ikarus Technologies Mount USB Cable (EQDir HEQ5,EQ3,EQ8,EQ5)

Can someone tell me why the size can no longer adjust in Ekos "Capture" - see screenshot (Red Box)

Have already tried everything even removing the profile and creating a new profile does not offer a solution - the value remains the same
5 years 2 months ago #35100

Can you click to the red trash icon next to the camera name? then go to any tab and come back, it should give you a dialog to enter the values again.
5 years 2 months ago #35101

had done this before Jasem, but it didn't work - this time it works - thanks you Jasem

You may also have an answer to this question - I always put my DSLR D500 on RAW, but if I connect it and open Ekos “capture” and then take a picture via preview, it saves it in Jpeg
I have already looked in INDI Control Panel to see everything is on RAW and as far as I can see it is so .. - Or maybe I forget something.

5 years 2 months ago #35114

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds