INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

SM 1.7.8 does not save camera gain and offset session to session

• Thank you received: 6
I recently downloaded SM1.7.8 after using 1.7.6. I found that when I change the default values of gain 200 and offset 1 in the Indi control of the ZWO533mc camera to 110 and 15, the values I use, and press “set” things are good for that session. However the next time I set up the rig the gain and offset have returned to default values. Is this intentional? With the old 1.7.6 version the gain and offset would remain where I put them. That way it was one less thing to have to verify each session. The SM1.7.8 is running on an RPI4 and controlled from a Macbook using noVNC. Of course it could be me and I have forgotten something important.
8 months 3 weeks ago #94652

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 30
I have had the same experience but it goes back to before the current version. Also, I generally run KStars/EKOS from a desktop and use my RPi as an INDI server (the RPi has 1.7.8 running on it). It seems that the INDI control for my cameras changes from my last settings quite often. I have come to think it has to do with whether or not I've run Polar Alignment or focusing where I have different settings from those I use for image capture. It is annoying that they seem to change and it is something I have to keep an eye on as you mention. I've had runs where my gain and offset were wrong because I forget to double check!
8 months 3 weeks ago #94666

Hi Fred
At least I know I am not alone with this problem. I had the idea to set up a capture file with the correct gain and offset values and save it as a .esq file. However when I call it back all the saved parameters are correct, except for the gain and offset, which return to default values. This leads to a more serious problem. If I set up a scheduler file, the scheduler will call up the .esq file which will use the wrong gain and offset. This kind of negates the usefulness of the scheduler since it will require my presence during the session to change the gain and offset to the correct values. Surely I must be doing something wrong as there must be lots of people using the scheduler and SM1.7.8.
8 months 3 weeks ago #94677

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
I think that, in order to have it recorded through the sessions, it has to be set in the Indi parameters last tab, Controls.
It is what I did, and my gain and offset are kept... so far.
Rgrds,
8 months 2 weeks ago #94885

Hello Jean-Luc
Yes, I have done that on many occasions and the gain and offset only holds for the current session. When I start a session the next clear night the gain and offsets are back to the defaults off 200 and1.
Regards
Mike
8 months 2 weeks ago #94888

My experience has been a bit of a mix. If I go into the INDI Control Panel and change the gain there, it follows through to the capture module. But when I close and restart KStars/EKOS, I get one of four different gain values. First, the one I set in the last session via the INDI Control Panel. Second, sometimes I get the gain I use for polar alignment. Third, sometimes I get the gain I use for focusing. Finally, I get gain 100 (which I don't generally use). I think it sometimes picks up whatever it used last but then I can't explain the gain 100 thing.

So, because this seems to happen with no pattern I've identified yet, I just try to be very careful when I set up my sequences so I don't have the risk of having to shoot more bias and dark frames at different gain settings to match my lights.

It would be great if there was an easy fix for this or if others have a different experience and can identify something I'm doing wrong. I'm using an ASI6200MM as my main camera.

Regards
8 months 2 weeks ago #94889

Hello Michael and Frederick,
I think I have understood what you are missing.
After you set gain and offset in indi control tab (01-Indi01), you must save the via the Options tab (02-Indi02).
This, I think it was clear and I am sure you already did.
Then, when you open the capture tab (03-Kstars01), you can see the values are there, though they do not appear in the input fields next to them.
If then you add a sequence, the values will again not appear in its corresponding fields (04-Kstars02). However, they are correctly taken into account (open an image created by the sequence you just created and look at the fits header values).
Those are now kind of default values that remain even after the system is shut down, and I think that is what you were not aware of (i hope it is the correct expression).
It is possible to add the values to a sequence by typing them in the input fields before adding or modifying a sequence (05-Kstars03). That is what I would do if I ponctually needed to use different gain and offset.
As a matter of this, if you save a sequence after having implicitly set gain and/or offset, it will remain and override the above-mentionned default values, until you modify the sequence.
Hope I could help.
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Jean-Luc.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94904

Jean-Luc
Ca marche! Thank you very much. It's curious that in earlier versions I never saved the configuration but the modified gain and offset were always saved for the next session.
Mike
8 months 2 weeks ago #94917

Jean-Luc,

Thank you for your reply on this. I wanted to share the results of a quick test I just did and that shows my frustration with how this works.

1) In the INDI control panel I set gain = 0 and then saved the configuration just as you outlined.

2) I disconnect the devices in EKOS (not physical disconnection) and stop EKOS.

3) I restart EKOS and go to the INDI control panel and the gain is still 0 - all good.

4) I go to the capture module and enter a simple one frame sequence with gain = 100. I DO NOT change the settings I had SAVED in the INDI control panel (i.e., gain = 0).

5) I again disconnect the devices in EKOS and stop EKOS.

6) I restart EKOS and go to the INDI control panel and the gain is now 100 - I don't want this. In my mind it should stay with the saved configuration (gain = 0 in this example) until I change it. In my case, since I use different gain values in the Alignment Module and in the Focus Module, it seems that the INDI control panel just picks up whatever the last gain value was and stores that in the INDI control panel - I don't even save those values but there they are the next time I start up.

Oddly, the gain values in the Alignment module for example, are always remembered from session to session - they don't bounce around, no matter the gain is in the other Modules or in the INDI control panel. I think this should behave differently - the saved value should persist in the INDI control panel and not change unless I change it. Otherwise, if EKOS overrides the saved values all the time, why save at all?
8 months 2 weeks ago #94918

Hello Fred,
Seems like gremlins have settled there...
Well, this is stable for me, but I admit I am facing the same kind of problem with focal and aperture which, depending on some unknown reason, are as I saved them or are reset.
OK, I just found there is a github for SM, so it could be worth opening an issue there .
Edit:
I am going to try to reproduce your problem. Since wue use same sbc and sw, it ought be possible.
I presume all sw is up to date - on both PI and tablet ?
Last edit: 8 months 2 weeks ago by Jean-Luc.
8 months 2 weeks ago #94924

Back again, after some problems.
So - yes, I could reproduce what you describe.
It seems - it is certain - that the default settings are overriden by those entered on the fly.
This should not be. I advice you to create a bug report. Link in my previous post.
Rgrds,
J.-Luc
8 months 1 week ago #95032

Thanks Jean-Luc - I opened a bug report - we'll see what happens!

All the best!
8 months 1 week ago #95035

Time to create page: 0.963 seconds