INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Resolving / (polar-)alignment problem

• Thank you received: 1
Hello,
Could someone please describe the steps I have to follow in order to get my mount (polar-)aligned from SM ?
I am using a Star Adventurer GTI with a ZWO ASI183MC and a telephoto lens witch gives a resulting focal length of 540mm and approx 3.8°x2.5° fov.
I spent more than 4 hours yesterday trying to achieve this reading the align section of 3.6.6 ekos manual.
It always failed, supposingly due to not enough stars in the picture or incorrect fov.
According to the manual, it seems so easy a baby could get it work, so I really don't understand what I am doing wrong.
Any help really apreciated.
Rgrds,
Last edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Jean-Luc. Reason: ambiguous title
6 months 4 weeks ago #96059

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 23
1. Point the RA axis of your mount towards Polaris as best as possible.
2. Turn the DEC axis perpendicular to the RA axis also to Polaris as best as possible.
---> This is the home postion of your mount.
3. Reset your mount to factory settings if possible.
4. Make sure that your camera/lens is as parallel as possible with the RA axis pointing to Polaris.
5. Choose a shutter speed of 5 seconds to start.
6. Remove all filters.
7. Start the polar alignment procedure (E).
8. Also try the polar alignment procedure (W).
Last edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Fitchie.
6 months 4 weeks ago #96060

• Thank you received: 1
Hello Fitchie,
This is exactly what I did. It flawlessly failed, though.
No matter if I run it from SM App or SM OS, I cannot get the alignment process succeed.
I spent another 4 hours yesterday, with my D4s instead of the ZWO. And decided I would do it on SM OS.
I first tried to get autofocus work, because I wanted to be sure the fails were not because of incorrect focus.
About more than an hour later the focusing still could not be achieved. It always failed despites the many setups I had tried.
On the end it become obvious to me that I would have to continue with bahtinov. Much more faster and precise until I can find why it fails.
Then I repeated the polar align procedure. Polaris was in the field with the 200mm photo lens in the parking position.
It once passed the first two acquisition / resolving / rotating, then stood stuck on the third rotating for about ten minutes before I decided it was hung.
Then, for more than two hours, it did not pass the first resolving, whatever I did try.
So, for now, I am going to give up both align and autofocus and stay with my manual approaches which I can achieve much faster and accurately than the software.
Bringing polaris at its exact place in the circle takes me about 40s, I need another 2~3 minutes to manual focus using bahtinov mask and then 10~30 s to have the target manually brought in the field.
Unless this was due to pending update that has just happened.
6 months 3 weeks ago #96118

Time to create page: 0.412 seconds