INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Altitude vs. Time Tool -- compass point -- obstructions

• Thank you received: 4
Hi,
I have to make heavy use of the Altitude vs. Time Tool.

The reason is that I take my pictures from a balcony.
The house and my neighbours' houses are obstructions to the north. Whereas some tall trees are obstructions to the south.

It would be easy for me to measure the compass points of the obstructions and to find out (by trial and error) the top of the obstructions.
It would be helpful if the user could read the compass point in the AvsT Tool.
And why not improve the tool by creating an option that gives the user the chance to add the surrounding obstructions to the tool so that the AvsT Tool could show them as rectangles rising from the ground.

What do you think?
Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by Heiko.
3 years 5 months ago #62524

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

This view, taken from stellarium (stellarium.org/), could also be useful.
The obstacles around the circle and the path of the object marked on the sphere.
If you hover with the mouse pointer over the path of the object time and altitude could be displayed.
And the user should be able to set the obstacles;
for example by entering two compass points for the width
and by entering the altitude of the top of the obstacle in degrees
in a table list
for as many obstacles as the user wishes to add.
Or some kind of handdrawing?

Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
3 years 5 months ago #62539
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 226
You can create a custom horizon. Start with that.
3 years 5 months ago #62548

lhoujin,
thank you for pointing me to the Artificial Horizon Manager. This is exactly the kind of table list I had in mind.
But I used it and recognized that the created obstacle does not show up in the AvsT tool.
The obstacles are only visible on the skymap. I tried to plan a session with the skymap. But it is not intuitive. I can go forward in time, but I cannot slew the mount to this position of the object in the future. I would like to do this in order to have a look if the scope is pointing to the wall, roof, tree or free part of the sky. Maybe this could be changed?
Powered by

GNU / Linux
Git
KDE neon
KStars | EKOS | INDI

and some cheap hardware
3 years 5 months ago #62550

• Thank you received: 57
Both A vs T and more importantly the scheduler need to become aware of the artificial horizon.

This would be a huge improvement for all who image from complex landscapes, either urban or rural.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joaquin
3 years 5 months ago #62566

• Thank you received: 226
If you wish to advance time in KStars and slew to the points as though the skyview is current, you can. You will need to open Configure KStars under Settings. Then under INDI, choose KStars Updates All Devices with Time and Location set. If the change doesn't apply immediately, simply restart the INDI server. If you have a GPS device, KStars will ask if you wish to switch to it. For your tests, say no. But otherwise try to remember to switch back to GPS or System Time. Otherwise you will need to set it manually in KStars Set time and Set Geography windows.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Heiko
3 years 5 months ago #62571

lhoujin,
ok the skyview could be useful for planning a session. But one important part of the puzzle is missing - or not?
On the skyview I can show the Celestial equator and the Celestial meridian. I can find a target and the bulls eye marks the target. I can show the artifical horizon. But, the missing part is the path of my target on the sphere. This would be really useful information (together with time and altitude for any given point on the path)!