INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

Things Going From Bad to Worse, Part Deux (Rancid Pi?)

• Thank you received: 87
Mattia,
Yes. Thanks. I am aware of this.
I currently am sticking with Stellarmate as it works very well for me.
AstroArch I am eventually going to try.
-- Max S
ZWO AM5. RST-135. AZ-GTI. HEQ5. iOptron SkyTracker.
TPO RC6. FRA400. Rokinon 135 and other lenses.
ZWO ASI2600MC. D5500 modified with UVIR clip-in filter.
ZWO ASI120MM Mini x 2. ZWO 30F4 guider. Orion 50mm guider.
ZWO EAF x 3.
4 weeks 22 hours ago #100084

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 107
Yes, wasn't a suggestion for you to switch, was just referring to the combo minipc + stellarmate you suggested.

There is plenty of alternatives to run astro software on mini pc (including astroarch) and wanted to state that very clearly :)
4 weeks 22 hours ago #100085

• Thank you received: 0
Dear Steve,

I am not sure if I understand your setup correctly, but if your PC is connected to your router WiFi then it will not be able to connect it to the Pi unless you configure your Pi to connect to your router. By default it creates it own access point and will not automatically connect to your router. It might be better to switch off your router and try to connect directly to the Pi WiFi. Then you can change the network settings on the Pi to connect to your router. Hope this helps.

Cheers
4 weeks 19 hours ago #100086

• Thank you received: 8
Okay, this is not a newbie learning curve mistake. I’ve been through all that. This setup was working until it stopped working. Perhaps indicating a hardware failure.

At first, as I learned, you have to go through the hotspot because the system doesn’t know about your LAN. Once you get in you set up on the pi to use your LAN. After that it’s a simple WiFi connection which just works - until- for some reason, it doesn’t.

That is my situation. Now,however, the only way I can connect to the Pi (running AstroArch) is by running Ethernet cable from Router to Pi. This is not, obviously, my preferred setup. Connecting by Wi-Fi fails both through the hotspot or through the router network.

And so, I’ve bought a new Pi (5) with aluminum case. I think this will work.
4 weeks 15 hours ago #100088

At first, as I learned, you have to go through the hotspot because the system doesn’t know about your LAN. Once you get in you set up on the pi to use your LAN.

I am not sure what you mean here Steve, nobody ever had any issue with plugging the pi immediately into their own LAN. It just works out of the box until you have DHCP enabled on the router.

Can you explain what you did?
Last edit: 4 weeks 14 hours ago by Mattia.
4 weeks 14 hours ago #100090

• Thank you received: 27
Hello Steve,

If you are using version 1.8, may I suggest that you connect your pi with a hdmi cable to your monitor or TV?

This would allow you to see if the pi boots correctly. And use a USB keyboard/mouse to run a few commands in a console to find a solution to your problem.
4 weeks 13 hours ago #100093

>> I am not sure what you mean here Steve, nobody ever had any issue with plugging the pi immediately into their own LAN. It just works out of the box until you have DHCP enabled on the router.

>>Can you explain what you did?

Sorry, I haven't been clear. I thought I was, but apparently not.

My preferred configuration is all WiFi. My computer has a wireless connection to my router, as does my Pi. I don't WANT to use Ethernet at all. But, of course, it's a chicken and egg thing. You can't put the Pi on your router network unless you can talk to it, and to do that you have to connect to it somehow. The way I've been used to doing that is to connect to the Astroarch WiFi hotspot by

1. temporarily making the AstroArch hotspot my computer's WiFi connection
2. logging into it at http://10.42.0.1:8080/vnc.html
3. editing the network config to add the WiFi connectionon to the router and making it the default
4. reconnecting at astroarch.local:8080/vnc.html

and I'm good to go.

After reading your post, it occurs to me that I might be able to skip the Astroarch Hotspot step, by running an Ethernet connection from Pi to Router, and just editing the network config that way, then disconnect it and go all WiFi.

But Ethernet connection is not part of my preferred setup once we've bootstrapped ourselves onto the router network. The only reason it came into the picture at all was that WiFi connectivity to the Pi failed at my friend's place, and it was the only way to get going. Now, given whatever the problem may be, it is once again the only way I can connect to the Pi and run Astroarch. No WiFi on the Pi works, not the Hotspot and not the WiFi connection to my network. I suspect it's hardware because WiFi connectivity always worked before.

I hope that clears up what I am trying to do.
4 weeks 9 hours ago #100102

Thanks, but I don't think this is necessary given that with the Pi connected to my router, I can ping it, and SOMETIMES even connect to Astroarch. The thing is booting.
4 weeks 9 hours ago #100103

Ok cool, thanks. Now I have a clear picture of everything.

Cannot say anything at the moment as I instead go full opposte and never use it hooked up to my wifi but I will make some tests tomorrow to see if I have similar issues.

Will send you also some commands to check if the WiFi chip keeps disconnecting from the WiFi network. Don't recall it at the moment but there are logs related to this fact somewhere
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Cohen
4 weeks 8 hours ago #100104

Thanks, Mattia but before you dive too deep into checking into this, remember that this problem occurred first in AstroArch 1.7, not 1.8, although it occurs there as well. But WiFi chip checking commands would be worthwhile. My strong suspicion is that this is a hardware issue.

And I have now brought AstroArch 1.8 online on my brand new Pi-5 8GB without any problems.

Well there is one minor issue that I will raise in a separate thread as it is not really related to this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mattia
4 weeks 7 hours ago #100105

• Thank you received: 0
Seems the problem is solved, is there a way of deleting a post?
Last edit: 4 weeks 1 hour ago by Riyadh Abdulkadir. Reason: Problem Solved
4 weeks 1 hour ago #100108

Riyadh, as moderator I can drop posts if you want. Do you want to delete any?
3 weeks 6 days ago #100112

Moderators: Mattia
Time to create page: 0.858 seconds