Restarted my iMac again and this time I got the prompt to allow the extension to load. Ran KStars, the Moonlite is no longer giving serial errors and seems to be functioning normally. Thanks very much for your help. Now I just need a clear night to try it on some stars....
Hi Chris - I have just done some more checking. Although the older version of the FTDI driver has stopped the serial time out errors, the focuser is still behaving strangely. It seems to only want to focus inwards regardless of using the focus in or out buttons on EKOS. I need to get it outside and try the autofocus module and see what happens. Here is the log from my last run - as you can see there are still positioning errors and temperature errors, but no timeout errors.
That is version 3.4.0 which we already know has problems.
You mentioned that version 3.0.0 doesn't have problems and I would like to see a log showing what that gives.
Can you please attach the log file rather than copy and paste.
Is it possible to relate these ekos version numbers to the indi GIT numbers so we can correlate the data in log files to the code? I can see that 3.4.0 was built on the 27th January but don't know when the working 3.0.0 version was built.
Kstars seems to be reporting an error with both the focuser position and the focuser temperature but both of these seem to be returning valid values and in the case of the position kstars then reports the position correctly. The temperature value 0x27 corresponds to a temperature of 19.5 C which seems reasonable.
The position is reported as 30310, this is what the hardware has been reporting for some time, and a command to focus out by 100 steps is sent.
All the commands to the hardware seem to have succeeded and a command to move to 30410 is sent, but the focuser starts moving in.
This looks to me like a problem with communicating with the hardware, maybe the position sent by the :SN command has been corrupted.
No, there's still no focuser serial command data. Adding the telescope just clogs the log with irrelevant telescope information. Maybe there earlier versions don't have the serial dta available.
I don't think there is anything more I can do. The logs with serial data show the correct commands being sent and no indication that they failed, yet the hardware behaves incorrectly. It doesn't seem to happen with the Raspberry Pi so that indicates there is no fundamental issue with the code.
A few days ago, I finished my own DIY focuser based on the Moonlite protocol.
It works with an Arduino, an A4988 driver and a NEMA17 stepper motor.
I have exactly the same problem as the one described here.
2020-05-05T18:25:47: [ERROR] Serial read error: Timeout error.
2020-05-05T18:20:44: [INFO] Focuser is moving to position 1500
2020-05-05T18:20:32: [INFO] Focuser reached requested position.
2020-05-05T18:20:31: [INFO] Focuser is moving to position 3480
Sometimes, the log says "[INFO] Focuser reached requested position. ", but the stepper didn't move.
Sometimes, the stepper goes the opposite direction when adjusting from Ekos. . . (focus in)
To be sure it didn't come from the firmware or the Arduino COM port, I wrote a small soft simply opening directly the COM port (Linux, blocking IO...) reading the greeting message then sending some commands to move the stepper, change the steps, move again etc...
Then I read the status. (Actual pos, step ...). Every thing works fine and I never, ever lose any char.
I have done this tenths of time, with the same result :
MarcusFocus 0.3 - Ready.
Un focuser Arduino/Moonlite sous INDI pour Greg
Command sent :SH#:SN0777#:FG#
Command sent :GP#:GH#
Response = 0777#FF#
Command sent :SF#:SN0000#:FG#
Command sent :GP#:GH#
Response = 0000#00#
n = 0
The problem is exactly the same with the two drivers (Moonlite and Moonlite Dro)
I also used the serial monitor of the Arduino IDE to send various commands. Again, no problem.