INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

INDI Website Upgrade

Hello folks! I think it's time for an INDI Website overhaul. We are still using Joomla 3.x branch which is out of support now. So we need to update to Joomla 4/5. However, think this is a good chance to involve the community in the overhaul of the website.

What content/sections needs to be added/updated/removed? Any changes in menus..etc?
4 months 12 hours ago #97790

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 223

Replied by Gonzothegreat on topic INDI Website Upgrade

Are we talking about the main website content or just the forum?

For me, the main page as in www.indilib.org/index.html is way too busy. I don't like scrolling that much to see the main content.
Having said that, while the siril.org/ also has a semi-long main page, the all website is more "light" compared to the indilib one.

Some of the images used appears to take a lot of screen space for not much added value, ie: www.indilib.org/developers/dev-howtos.html - www.indilib.org/what-is-indi/discover-indi.html etc...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derek
3 months 4 weeks ago #97798

• Thank you received: 16

Replied by AirBourn on topic INDI Website Upgrade

IMHO: That giant "INDI Library is Released" header that won't go away is really irritating and wastes a huge amount of screen real estate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alfred
3 months 4 weeks ago #97799
Attachments:

• Thank you received: 76

Replied by Derek on topic INDI Website Upgrade

Would there be any merit in moving away from a CMS and use a static site generator instead?
Something like Gatsby or Jekyll.

Advantages:
Changes to the site could be done by anyone with a PR.
More secure (less surface area for attack)
Easier to maintain (no database to backup, migrate, maintain)

Disadvantages
Dynamic content has to be added separately (like this forum)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
Last edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Derek.
3 months 4 weeks ago #97803

• Thank you received: 8

Replied by Matteo on topic INDI Website Upgrade

I would show in an area of the home page the latest INDI release. Perhaps using the standard Feed Display module that points to github.com/indilib/indi/releases.atom so it can be easy to maintain and it can keep GitHub links.
3 months 4 weeks ago #97817

• Thank you received: 41

Replied by Euripides on topic INDI Website Upgrade

It would be nice if there was a dedicated thread about beta testers. Many people without programming skills want to test, to help the project, but do not know how.
Detailed instructions on how to install a dev version, downgrade, or keep a separate working version would be great.
Also, what do they have to report, which logs, and where (here, GitHub etc)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Wolfgang Reissenberger, AstroMuni, Richard Francis
3 months 3 weeks ago #97919

• Thank you received: 33

Replied by AstroMuni on topic INDI Website Upgrade

I think it just needs an overhaul, removing old articles and pages that are no longer relevant. eg. the Contribute menu, the Tutorials section etc.
The Forum is well hidden under the Community menu and should be made more prominent.
Clear Skies,
Pramod

My kit: SW 130PDS on a HEQ5 Pro mount, ZWO ASI533mc Pro, 30mm guidescope with ASI120mm mini, managed using Kstars/Ekos, RPi with Stellarmate OS, ASI224mc, bits and bobs for visual observations.
3 months 1 week ago #98162

Replied by Jasem Mutlaq on topic INDI Website Upgrade

Folks, we are doing another website re-design. Would appreciate any contributions. I drafted a preliminary Skeleton design in Lucid App to reflect the overall structure of the landing page at least. Please share your thoughts. If anyone is willing to step in to help maintain the website (articles, clean up, organizing menus..etc) please let me know.
1 month 1 week ago #99788

Also, if anyone is interested in participating in this, I create a Discord channel to discuss INDI Website design
1 month 1 week ago #99789

For the new website, I'll revamp the tutorial section, so far I had these tutorials in mind:

* Exposure calculator: Cover exposure calculator in Ekos (not INDI specific but could be interesting)
* Watchdog: Explain how to use Watchdog driver
* DIY Roof controller: How to make a roof controller with INDI
* INDI on Windows WSL2: How to get INDI built on Windows with WSL2
* OnStep Controls: Guide on using OnStep (hardware + software).
* Build Weather Station: Talk about how to build weather station and use weatherradio driver (or other driver)
* Develop with Python: Python tutorial for client control , setup..etc.
* Write Your First Client in C++: Small tutorial on build a simple INDI client
* Scripting with INDI: Overview of INDI scripting tools
* Embedded INDI: Overview on how to install INDI on embedded devices, maybe talk about the scripts and distributions available today that can help users to get started
* Automated Flats: How to set up automated flats in ekos and what hardware can be used to achieve this
* Write INDI Device Driver: how to write your first device driver, documentation, how to submit, how to prepare dev environment

Please suggest any other topics and whether you can help in writing any tutorials. I can't possibly manage all above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matteo, Fitchie
4 weeks 2 days ago #99960

• Thank you received: 23

Replied by Fitchie on topic INDI Website Upgrade

@Jasem,

If interested, please ad "How to use the mosaic functionality in Kstars in combination with the new greedy sheduler"
You can count on me for both the Windows WSL2 & the above suggested tutorial.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq
4 weeks 2 days ago #99965

Time to create page: 0.360 seconds