INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Internal Solver for Mac, Windows, and Linux -- Testing/ Experiments needed

• Thank you received: 812
Yes, you can have the solver log all kinds of things. You have a choice of how much info it logs and you also have a choice as to where it saves the log file. I am attaching a screenshot. I would definitely not recommend unchecking the box that tells it to save that log to a file and don't go too high in the logging setting, since it can be an awful lot of info.

3 years 4 months ago #64472
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 17
Yes, i had that box checked and it was defaulted to /tmp/astrometryLog.txt, but no such file was created. I believe the default is log_all, at least that is what is says when I open the program this morning. Log_all - (check) Separate log File - /tmp/astrometryLog.txt
3 years 4 months ago #64509

Perhaps the main log file should include what log files were activated for this run, I don't know if there is a record of that anywhere else. I have been running with Logs: Verbose, file
Ekos Indi Capture Alignment Guide
Astrometry log_all Separate log file /tmp/astrometryLog.txt (a default I did not select)
drivers CCD Mount
3 years 4 months ago #64510

I just ran a simulator test and did a test align (capture solve do nothing) and it did write a log in /tmp; but my equipment profile did not??
3 years 4 months ago #64511

That is odd! So it logged a solve of the simulators solving, but not of another profile?? That is odd because I don't think any of this should depend on your Ekos profile. Alignment logging was turned on for both runs?
3 years 4 months ago #64513

If you have "log_none" selected, then nothing will get logged. But if you have any other setting, it will save a file. I wouldn't recommend Log_all unless you have a good reason to do so since the amount of info is just crazy and would make an enormous text file.
3 years 4 months ago #64514

When you did it using the other profile, did you have use_scale and use_position selected or not selected? Was that different when you solved with the simulators?
3 years 4 months ago #64515

what looks like is this: it creates that log file either in /tmp or wherever you tell it to only when you run simulators as the profile. If I put my real equipment profile in and keep the same log options (either in /tmp/astrometryLog.rxt or any other location in my home directory) it does NOT write that log file (whether it is Log_all or Log_verb). in the simulator mode yes with log_verb you get a lot of stuff, but nothing with real equipment profile.

At least that is the way it is behaving on my Rpi 4. So I cannot help you in resolving solver issues.

Ron
3 years 4 months ago #64516

sorry, we are out of sync when you typed your responses I was in the garage running multiple combinations of logging with sims and with equipment. I will have to see if I use scale and use position checked. I will check. I believe I have unchecked use position at times, but it has been working so well, that I have not checked that in awhile.

be right back
3 years 4 months ago #64517

I was just doing a test and I found that when it did a blind solve and launched a bunch of child solvers, they did not log to files, but when I did it with just the one solver, such as solving with scale and position, or solving with the "Single Thread Solving" options profile, then it did log to the file. I will take a look at why it doesn't do that and I could put it into the next version. But it should be noted, that when I just tried doing log_all with single thread solving and use_scale and use_position unchecked, the file size very quickly exceeded 100 MB.
3 years 4 months ago #64518

If I were to make the child solvers all do that, man, in the same time, it would be a gigabyte (depending on how many child solvers you are running). But of course, if you don't use log_all and one of the lower settings, that might be just fine.
3 years 4 months ago #64519

Yes I have use scale and use position checked in both profiles (simulator and equipment - I am just loading the mount and a camera). I did have log_all selected for my runs the other night, so maybe that kicked it out. But tonight I ran several dummy (no stars the solver just fails, but still should give a log ) runs using log_ver and still no log file was generated. Note: it looks like the /tmp directory gets re-written every time you start the machine, so that may not be a good default location for this, unless you want that because the file is so large.
3 years 4 months ago #64520

Time to create page: 0.908 seconds