INDI Library v2.0.7 is Released (01 Apr 2024)

Bi-monthly release with minor bug fixes and improvements

New Internal Solver for Mac, Windows, and Linux -- Testing/ Experiments needed

• Thank you received: 133
Yes, sure. Everything is connected (Mount, 2 cameras, EFW and focuser). I can slew the mount, get images from both cameras, guide....
But no align.
3 years 5 months ago #62587

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 226
DerPit: I'm not sure why it would do that. How is it with the simulators?

Rob. I have a question regarding focal length measurement.
Is the value in parentheses supposed to update after plate solving? I have not seen it do that yet. But I've only had a chance to test with load and slew images, not in the field under the stars. But, I do see the calculated pixel scale in the output which I can use to accurately calculate it for myself with the following formula
[Focal Length in mm] = (206.2648 x [Pixel Size in μm]) / [Arcseconds Per Pixel]
Having an accurate focal length measurement is important to me as it can be used to know if my RC telescope has correct mirror spacing.
Thank you.
3 years 5 months ago #62598

• Thank you received: 812
Sorry I don't know if the FL field is supposed to update after plate solving, Jasem would know. I've been really focused on the internals of the solver for the last few months. If I am not mistaken the FL field is just calculated based on your telescope information in the Mount Module. I do know that the arc seconds per pixel value should update based on the solve.

As for the Arc seconds per pixel information in the output, the Astrometry code calculates that based on the plate solve, so it should be very accurate. Just a warning about that though, if the image is downsampled or binned, the pixel scale astrometry calculates will differ from the true pixel scale of your camera, since binned pixels are bigger. In StellarSolver, I correct the printed pixel scale for downsampling so it should be corrected for that, but if you are binning, KStars is doing that and the output in the log will show the pixel scale from the binned pixels. KStars should then correct the binned pixel scale to the regular pixel scale for its use, but the printed information from StellarSolver would show the binned scale.
3 years 5 months ago #62601

• Thank you received: 5
Not sure if I should be putting this in the windows beta thread. But I just had to uninstall the beta client. I spent about two hours trying to get solving to work. The strange thing is it would work with my guide scope with the guide camera. But it would not work with my main scope or camera. Perhaps I shouldn’t be switching back-and-forth between them, and this is causing problems? But as soon as I installed the 3.4.3 release I’m solving and taking advantage of clear skies. With the beta I had been trying all the different options. I was trying blind, internal, astap...

I’ve been testing the beta client with the simulators and everything works perfectly.
3 years 5 months ago #62602

The value in the parenthesis is the Effective focal length as measured from astrometry. So there is a difference between calculated and effective focal length, you'll be able to see that.
3 years 5 months ago #62612

• Thank you received: 226
That's what I thought it should do. But so far I've only seen it match the calculated value. That might be because I've only been able to test it with load and slew images since the inclusion of that feature.
3 years 5 months ago #62618

• Thank you received: 133

I had already switched to an older version and started imaging last night, so I couldn't investigate further (first real observations in 7 weeks or so....). Did it this morning, with the Simulator, and everything seemed to work. At least the Tab was available. So I did another setup with real hardware (different from last night though), but also there no problems anymore. So I'm not sure what happened yesterday. Will try again tonight with the same configuration as last night....
3 years 5 months ago #62622

• Thank you received: 812
We haven't made any updates in several days, StellarSolver is now working very well in KStars, and things mostly seem stable. So I made a StellarSolver Release! It has been awhile, the last release was in May, but I took a break for a few months, and then this fall we were working very hard on the integration into KStars and making lots of changes, so I didn't want to make a new release until everything seemed pretty good. Here it is with the Tester built on Mac and Windows:

github.com/rlancaste/stellarsolver/releases/tag/1.5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jasem Mutlaq, Starman99
3 years 5 months ago #63006

• Thank you received: 109
Great news! Congrats to you Rob, and all those that helped get it here. I am using it tonight!

Jim

PS, if you don't mind, please update the version in the .spec file to match what ever your next dev version is. Thanks!
3 years 5 months ago #63008

• Thank you received: 4
Is this latest release included in Ekos/Kstars nightly? Thanks for all the work on it - looks exciting!
3 years 5 months ago #63035

• Thank you received: 4
@Jasem,

just a side note:
You have updated the dependecy list in the README.md

On KDE neon I get this error message:

Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
Investigating (0) libraw-dev:amd64 < none -> 0.19.5-1ubuntu1 @un puN Ib >
Broken libraw-dev:amd64 Hängt ab von on libraw19:amd64 < 0.19.6~202002010816~ubuntu20.04.1 @ii mK > (= 0.19.5-1ubuntu1)
Considering libraw19:amd64 10 as a solution to libraw-dev:amd64 9998
Done
Die folgenden Pakete haben unerfüllte Abhängigkeiten:
libraw-dev : Hängt ab von: libraw19 (= 0.19.5-1ubuntu1) aber 0.19.6~202002010816~ubuntu20.04.1 soll installiert werden
E: Probleme können nicht korrigiert werden, Sie haben zurückgehaltene defekte Pakete.