Apologies for missing the attachment. Not sure how I missed it.
I will have a look through the log tomorrow. Our mount is a GTO1100 and uses the GTOCP4 controller. I know that the controller version can have a bearing on how the experimental driver interacts however from memory I think that the CP3 should work OK. Definitely worth updating to latest firmware etc.
My experience is only with the GTOCP4 and all the detailed instructions relate to the interaction of the experimental driver with the GTOCP4 controller. Hopefully someone on line running the GTOCP3 will be able to advise if I can't find anything obvious in your log.
I will check the log tomorrow.
I took a quick look and apparently the driver does not support custom parking positions, so I removed this functionality altogether now in GIT. Please try the next nightly release to see if it behaves any better.
Since I wrote the instructions several weeks ago we have found that using warm start does not always work consistently so our work flow is to always do a cold start. So just ensure that you have a "park from" position set that reflects the set up position of the mount before you unpark (as Jasem says custom positions are not advised - I always use park 3 but have tested all positions 1-4 and they all work. Once you are up and running set your "park to" and write the data and save configs.
If you ever get a KStars crash I would always start from scratch, depower the mount and do a cold start as per the instructions. Often after a crash and a simple disconnect/reconnect the mount seems to lose it's position although this may not be apparent on the planetarium and this risks a pier collision. I suppose what I am saying is, until you are really clear and comfortable how the driver works in your set up, do not use it unattended, especially during meridian flips etc. This is still an experimental driver and the warnings are there for a reason. Having said that we have found it works well with the caveats above. Wildi did heaps of work on the driver several months ago and for users in the Southern Hemisphere these changes sorted out the parking behaviour that made the driver unusable for us in Australia. Many thanks to him for the work he did!
I could not find anything obvious in the log but at least the mount is being recognised and does connect OK. If it helps, I spent many weeks testing the driver indoors until I had established a consistent workflow. So don't give up.
If your updates do not help, just keep the information coming on the forum and someone using your controller should be able to assist. The more detail the better as everyone's set up is different.
Installed the nightly and get a much improved initial setup. No longer losing the Park To attribute each time, the write fields appear to have been removed from the Site Management tab. Assume the save under the Options tab is serving all the needs but did not need to use it each startup. Started up a few times and just needed to use the cold start button to get the Parked status.
I tested out the revised driver with our set up (AP GTO1100) and it worked flawlessly. Jasem's changes that are available in the current nightly build, mean that you only do a cold start and the site management tab not longer needs any input. Just save your config (in the options tab) after putting your "park from" and "park to" positions. I would specify these rather than use "last parked" as I am not sure this works as consistently and using the "Position 1, 2, 3 or 4" etc.
You need to update your Pi with the nightly build in order to take advantage of the enhanced functionality.
I am writing another workflow and will send you a copy when its done.
This will lock in the ppa repository to be updated when you do a software update. The latest nightly build should show as Version 3.5.4 beta (find this in the "help" menu in "about KStars").
As the nightly build can introduce instabilities, once you find the setup works I would go into the "software update" settings in the Administration dropdowns and uncheck the indinightly updates and any stable updates in regard to KStars/indi. This is in the "other software tab." This will lock in the working version and avoid updating for a while until you gain confidence in the system.
I will send you my workflow that I tested a couple of days ago which worked well, I will have to send this from another computer.
Thanks for the help. I am running astroberry distro on a pi 3B+
When connecting to the indinightly repository I get the following error message:
astroberry@astroberry01:~ $ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/indinightly
[sudo] password for astroberry:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/apt-add-repository", line 95, in <module>
sp = SoftwareProperties(options=options)
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 109, in __init__
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/softwareproperties/SoftwareProperties.py", line 599, in reload_sourceslist
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/aptsources/distro.py", line 93, in get_sources
aptsources.distro.NoDistroTemplateException: Error: could not find a distribution template for Raspbian/buster
After executing the other two lines and restarting the pi for good measures I notice that Kstars is still in version 3.5.3 stable.
CEM120 - AP1200GTO - WO 71 Star - TEC140 - C8 - Atik383L - Atik EFW - Atik OAG - LX2 - Pi 3B & 4 - Astroberry distro